Ubuntu 12.04

I would love to install uBuntu instead of windows, mainly that because it's easy to use and have no interest learning Linux command line O/S systems. It's very user friendly for the Linux novice like me, but last time I did a clean install with it hardly anything worked hardware wise.

I would love to install uBuntu instead of windows, mainly that because it's easy to use and have no interest learning Linux command line O/S systems. It's very user friendly for the Linux novice like me, but last time I did a clean install with it hardly anything worked hardware wise.
A lot hardware drivers were added into Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 is no exception as it too has more support.

Ubuntu at the moment is the only Linux distro that I am aware of that has support for sound through HDMI video cards (upon fresh install) and the wireless internet gap that you find within Linux is smaller in Ubuntu.

If you have any doubts, you could also do a dual boot (side-by-side). And I'd be OK with trying to walk you through any issues you may run into.

I'll probaley download and take a look at again over the weekend, but last time the main problem was my motherboard, which uses quite a few drivers under Windows XP, and even the ASUS website when looking at driver downloads for it, list next to nothing to use it with Linux unlike some other models. Without those drivers for motherboard it's really a no go for me.

I don't like making do, it either works proper with official ASUS drivers there to support it fully or not and the main reason I've stuck with XP and not moved up to Win 7 or Vista before. But like I say, I do like the look of Ubuntu and when changing motherboard in future I'll be looking for one that supports Linux with (drivers there) proper I think.

This is my motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe and I've already previously read before after last time people saying forget using it with Ubuntu.

Meh, forget Ubuntu, go Xubuntu, I much prefer the traditional desktop over that Unity crap, and even Gnome 3 "fallback" is giving me grief....

As for the motherboard issue, what is the problem? I haven't heard of motherboards creating any problems for years with Ubuntu, or any linux flavor for that matter. There was a while ACPI was a problem, and a quick google of the motherboard found some problems back in 2008. In most cases, you don't need to install drivers in Linux, instead of looking at the producer download pages, do a quick google. The problem can often be the wireless and graphic card.

Ohh, and if you have a problem in Linux, about 99% of the time you ask for help, you will be asked to run a command, just because it is so much easier to give one command than to explain how to do it in a GUI. You shouldn't be negative to the terminal, it is extremely useful, and to be quite honest, one of the best reasons to use linux...

When installed before it wouldn't even boot into it, getting error screen on boot-up instead right away halting things. Later, I did something that let me boot into screen, not sure what, might have formatted HD and done clean install of it. But then as you say sound and lan wasn't even working, so couldn't even connect to web, nothing on ASUS website to fix it also. God knows what else wasn't working right with motherboard not supported also. I did some browsing around after and read a few comments posted on the Linux forums about my motherboard basically saying it just wasn't compatible for using.

Same thing, different people having problems also using it asking for help and no answers ever coming forward.

Well see they say the "Lan and Sound" is working now, that's a big plus, wasn't before. But see USB motherboard controllers have a red sign shown, if that means USB connections from motherboard to case won't work, then forget it really. Not sure about the additional components listing "Firewall and Media-card", but I do have a media drive installed that takes different sized sim cards, but that didn't come with motherboard and takes up a floppy drive slot bought separately. Also, see the tick is for an X2 AMD, I use the 64 FX-60 AMD Duel processor, I replaced the X2 with it later but still have that "inferior" CPU chip still to fall back on. But there may be no issues with FX-60 anyway regardless.

Only thing I see really, is that question mark over the USB motherboard controller. That's something that's part of the motherboard (on-board). Would like to know what that means exactly? As that seems to be the only show stopper. :confused:

What version did you test out on? If it were around the time they moved to pulse audio, there was allot of problems with sound. The LAN not working seems very strange, I've actually never encountered it, and I have had some strange hardware errors (at one point I had to build a EDID file for my TV using the built in GFX card, and actually had quite allot of fun doing that). The booting thing might just have been ACPI problems, which was a problem a while ago. However, AFAIK XP doesn't have ACPI built in either, I had to create a custom ISO for my laptop and import the ACPI drivers.

But, as I said, don't use the suppliers website, you won't find much. Most of the default stuff are covered by open source drivers anyway, like sound, USB etc. Also quite a few hardware problems are also related to how they are built, like older Broadcom cards needs to load a proprietary firmware, but the driver is open source, but that doesn't help much as they can't distribute the firmware. 99% of your problems can be solved using Google, also using lspci and lsusb in the command line helps a ton when it comes to specific hardware problems, cause then you can Google the unique identifier and your problem, nearly never fails.

Ohh, and the reason stopping me from using Linux at this moment is something as moronic as my keyboard. Using windows for some gaming, and recently invested in a pretty expensive wireless keyboard. Only problem is that it use bluetooth, means it is synced with a pin, and I have to resync it every time I boot into a different OS :(

It was about 2-3 years ago now, not recently. Think it was 7.04

Going give it a test at the weekend, I have a spare identical SATA HD I've never used which I bought in-case it was ever needed to replace another that failed. I can remove the C: putting that empty new drive in it's place and install Ubuntu on that. If all fails, I can just swap drives around again and be back on windows without ever touching that drive.

Well see they say the "Lan and Sound" is working now, that's a big plus, wasn't before. But see USB motherboard controllers have a red sign shown, if that means USB connections from motherboard to case won't work, then forget it really. Not sure about the additional components listing "Firewall and Media-card", but I do have a media drive installed that takes different sized sim cards, but that didn't come with motherboard and takes up a floppy drive slot bought separately. Also, see the tick is for an X2 AMD, I use the 64 FX-60 AMD Duel processor, I replaced the X2 with it later but still have that "inferior" CPU chip still to fall back on. But there may be no issues with FX-60 anyway regardless.

Only thing I see really, is that question mark over the USB motherboard controller. That's something that's part of the motherboard (on-board). Would like to know what that means exactly? As that seems to be the only show stopper. :confused:
As that is a general report based on a pre-build PC .... It could be a customized board. But with that in mind, that standard board setup would need to be resolved before going into 3rd parties.

I'd say it should be worth doing a dual boot (side by side) as not to remove Windows and see for yourself.

I'll do what I said before your post, simply because I use Acronis for back-ups to another drive that makes use of hidden partition on C: Drive for booting directly into it without having to go into Windows in an Emergency to restore backup from another HD. Best to just put new SATA in and use that as clean HD to install Ubuntu on, never had anything on it anyway. At least then I can just swap drives around in 5 minutes hassle free if having any problems with Ubuntu and be back to before using Windows. Plus, if I remember right installing duel-boot before caused me some real unexpected headaches last time with Ubuntu, most likely because of that already hidden partition Acronis uses. Ended up having to lose everything doing a complete reformat of Windows.

I'll play it safe this time around.

Officially was released (early).
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Enjoy
I attempted to switch away from windows about 6 months ago, I formatted the laptop and did a clean install of whatever the latest LTS was at the time. I suffered terrible problems with the laptop grinding and stuttering, tried all sorts of fixes then eventually put w7 back on. I'm in the process of building a new HTPC, when it's finished I'll give Ubuntu one more go.

May I ask why people would switch away from windows? (I find win7) prity damn good bettering winxp.

What are the benefits of switching? Or is this another case of "I'm using linux because it makes me look cool" much like when you see those buying apple products because of that awesomeness badge on the back. :D *waits, pauses and runs from the apple brigade* Seriously though, what are the benfits of a linux over win7 OS?

For me, I just like the sound of using a less bloated O/S and one that doesn't come with that garbage named "Internet Explorer" installed, plus some other Windows stuff I could very easily live without. Just try something different for a change and see what I think, I've used Windows XP for years that's old now. Ubuntu will give me a more modern looking interface and I'm just interested to see how it runs if all hardware is supported by it.

My only real 2 concerns software wise, I keep spreadsheet data and other stuff using Microsoft Works which I cannot afford to lose. But would imagine that free Office program, or whatever it called can import database, spreadsheet and other data from MS Works. Also, Acronis for full HD backs to another drive, that's just as important but could be alternative back-up methods using Ubuntu worth looking at.

Ah okay. I thought I'd ask because 8 months or so ago I was thinking of trying linux mainly because people were raving on about it and I was really looking for the benefits of making the switch, what advantages come with linux, Do I really need to make the switch? Probably not. Probably wont switching but atleast try it alongside win7 (dual OS). Does it come with SSD support? I expect gfx cards will be catered for (nvidia/amd (ati)) etc but I was really wanting to know the major differences, mainly advantages of linux vs Win7 since win7 in my mind is not a resource hog and is surprisingly stable.

I'll probably locate a spare hardrive and give it a test run but from what I'm hearing thus far there's really no benefits for the average user. Since I'm a heavy photoshop user using PS6 Beta it's rapid in win7, stable so this is vital that any linux I potential may try runs this flawlessly.

I don't use Photoshop that much now really, just more a play thing to me. I can live without that myself. It's not like I make any money from graphics using it. In fact, I don't have that many programs installed at all really, and most come for Linux.

Ah okay. I thought I'd ask because 8 months or so ago I was thinking of trying linux mainly because people were raving on about it and I was really looking for the benefits of making the switch, what advantages come with linux, Do I really need to make the switch? Probably not. Probably wont switching but atleast try it alongside win7 (dual OS). Does it come with SSD support? I expect gfx cards will be catered for (nvidia/amd (ati)) etc but I was really wanting to know the major differences, mainly advantages of linux vs Win7 since win7 in my mind is not a resource hog and is surprisingly stable.

I'll probably locate a spare hardrive and give it a test run but from what I'm hearing thus far there's really no benefits for the average user. Since I'm a heavy photoshop user using PS6 Beta it's rapid in win7, stable so this is vital that any linux I potential may try runs this flawlessly.
Well this is it Shelley, w7 isn't bad, it's downright good. It's the pricetag I don't like. Every copy of w7 I have ever ran has been cracked in one way or another and I don't intend on changing my habits tbh.

As far as I know SSD's will work and you shouldn't have any problems with gfx cards although I will say that from my experience with laptops and their propriety setups I had a nightmare of a time. You can always boot from a livecd/usb and see how things would work out before dual booting.

I must say despite the problems I had with Ubuntu I was really impressed by the razzle of it all as documented over at adminextra.

Here's a screeny from my install.

Screenshot at 2012-01-08 23-31-09.webp

Top Bottom