XF 1.5 Two different themes - mobile and desktop question.

misteraven

Hello,

I've modified a desktop theme and have it to the point that I really love it. The mobile version of it, which wasn't super strong to begin with, got further borked as I was working through the templates dialing in the desktop version.

My question is if I find a theme that has a really great mobile version included, is it possible to run one theme as the default on desktop and an entirely different as the default theme for the mobile version? Keep in mind, we aren't allowing for user selectable themes, we simply want a cleaner version for mobile and wondering what the best way would be short of having to go back into the theme we have and redevelop the mobile version.

Thank you for any advice, suggestions or links to solutions!

There is no built in way to have a mobile device detected and auto switch the style. Currently media queries are used to restyle the elements for smaller screen resolutions. So with that said you should only need one style.

Its not a good idea.

In old times there was a distinction between desktop computer and mobile phone - phones had small resolution and browsers on phones were terrible. Today there is no real distinction. Phones use same modern browsers as desktops, resolutions on phone vary from small to very large and on some high end phones exceed one of typical laptop. Then there are tablets to take into account - do you want to treat them as phones or as desktop?

What you should do instead is fix your page so it would work with all resolutions. If you can't, you've designed your website wrong.

Top Bottom