Twitter & Google Registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Howard

This is a pre-sales question because before I buy another copy of XenForo to convert a different forum; I need to know if there are any future plans to include Twitter and Google Registration.

XenForo manages Facebook Registration just fine and I've been waiting for Twitter & Google to soon be included. At one time it was suggested as a future possibility and naturally, I assumed with a release of 1.2, it would be included.

I'm still hopeful that it will be or maybe that it is, but not active on XenForo.com

So from the developers who would know, is there plans or is it already an option, to include Twitter & Google Registrations?

I feel like proper integration with Twitter & Google would have been announced in a HYS thread, and since it hasn't, I can only assume it hasn't been coded for v1.2.

I feel like proper integration with Twitter & Google would have been announced in a HYS thread, and since it hasn't, I can only assume it hasn't been coded for v1.2.

I'm leaning toward that answer too, but I'm optimistic in that I don't think everything is announced. I'm also optimistic to be told that it will be included later in 1.2 or 1.2.1, but sooner rather than later.

So for now I'll wait until a developer replies to my sales question.

I kind of do need this though... One of my forum has done something that none of my others have.... Recurred members away from social media. So Twitter and Google are things I need, without depending on a 3rd party.

I'm leaning toward that answer too, but I'm optimistic in that I don't think everything is announced. I'm also optimistic to be told that it will be included later in 1.2 or 1.2.1, but sooner rather than later.

So for now I'll wait until a developer replies to my sales question.

I kind of do need this though... One of my forum has done something that none of my others have.... Recurred members away from social media. So Twitter and Google are things I need, without depending on a 3rd party.

Unless its included in v1.2, it won't be included in v1.2.x. .x releases are always meant to be more stable, and twitter/google integration would be a bigger feature.

Unless its included in v1.2, it won't be included in v1.2.x. .x releases are always meant to be more stable, and twitter/google integration would be a bigger feature.

It wouldn't be the first time a x.x.X release added something along the way.....

But we'll see what one of the developers says.

As I said, I'm optimistic that not everything is always announced.

In the mean time there's a fantastic add on that does exactly what you need.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with @guiltar's implementation.

For the community in question, add-ons are not good enough. Stability, performance, and core elements are a must. XenForo has the stability and performance, but its a little short on a few core elements.

I have no doubt it will mature in time though and I look forward to it. :)

Just to clarify, I'd be thrilled to see it in the core also. As well as Google. And it has already been suggested.

But I certainly wouldn't delay my purchase of XenForo over a single add-on.

Especially one which doesn't restrict functionality at all - people can always just create an account the regular way.

People can, but the majority of people on the community in question, don't. They join via social networking.

While I respect the idea of using an add-on, for the site in question that's not an option. Add-ons can break or be abandon. And it doesn't address what would happen if it later became core and some how the add-on method became incompatible (can't rule that out 100%).

For this project its either in the core or its not. Period. Accept no substitutes. Period.

Every project / site is different and has different requirements.

The log in dropdown would be a bit big ;)

not really.

I'm using this in several projects and i'm only "including" the providers, which could be useful (and used by the target audience) of the page.

e.g. a chit chat community wouldn't need bitbucket, github,etc
and a dev community would need "only" bitbucket and github

Being able to use them, doesn't mean that all should be active^^

Playing devil's advocate its often not a question of stability, quality, etc but more future continuity. Ragtek had some superb addons for example... Also I still really miss Floris's Top Posters Addon.

Then, by that logic, no one should ever use any add-ons ever.

People's lives change, people will come and go. Unfortunately some of them will be developers. You have basically just said, don't use any add-ons ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom