1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twitter features

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by AmericanForum.com, Sep 19, 2010.

1. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

Did a quick search and couldn't find what XF is implementing with Twitter.

Can anybody chime in on this ? :)

Again I need what IPB already has in core and that is the ability to post to Twitter directly from

the website ...

Also ... ideally I would like to award trophies based on the member posts that received

x number of tweets. :)
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There are plans for Twitter integration at some point, but we haven't decided what those plans are.
  3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

In the interest of fairness and balance, XenForo has already incorporated the Facebook "like" for each thread so a "Twitter This" is in order. :)
    Carlos likes this.
  4. AmericanForum.com

Come on Mike, with the talent and speed at which you guys move, you can do this during a coffee break. :D
  5. AmericanForum.com

I agree ... the other thing to consider is that with Facebook you are merely making the worlds biggest forum bigger ... in the end your users will simply abandon you (give it time as FB improves)

... however with Twitter you can generate very good traffic almost instantly and bring the conversation to your forum.

I am not crazy about Twitter personally but I can not deny how well it works to generate traffic ...

Test it here Mike and do a few Tweets and have others Tweet ... chances are good you will break your present traffic record in a few hours :)
    OperaManiac, Mayers and Dragonfly like this.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Fully agree.

We had one of our tweets re-tweeted once by the 5Live F1 team (BBC) and it broke the online users record :D
    AmericanForum.com likes this.
  7. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

I can't grasp Twitter, it confuses the hell out of me, granted that isn't a feat that takes a lot.
  8. Brogan

Just think of it as free advertising for your site :D

I generally just use it to direct people towards relevant posts or information on my site, using the appropriate hash tag, usually #F1.
  9. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

See that means absolutely nothing to me.

I'm going to have to read up on this here Twitter thing.
  10. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed! :)
    It makes me sad, and pains me to see people under a rock... :-/

Twitter is pretty powerful. You have no idea what you're missing.
  11. AmericanForum.com

Twitter is really good at brining traffic into your forum. Helping Facebook is feeding your competitor in the long term. (not all forums though)
  12. Brogan

Well for example I run a motorsport site and after every F1 race we tweet the overtakes, yes really, people are interested in stuff like that.

So I open my Twitter page and tweet the following:

#F1 overtaking analysis and data for the Italian GP now available http://bit.ly/b5PTcv

Anyone who follows the #F1 tag will see that tweet, as will anyone who is following me.
    Anyone else can re-tweet the message which will in turn be seen by their followers, and so on.

The end result is it drives traffic to my site.
  13. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

This. And whoever searches the keywords you use for your tweet - BOOM. It shows up on the list of tweets.

What people don't realize is that Twitter is trying to be a mini-search engine by itself.
  14. AmericanForum.com

The key is not to spam your followers ...

give them the content they are looking for and boom instant crowd materializes in seconds ... also you can automate your posts ... I love this feature in IPB.
  15. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll look into it.

Thanks guys.
  16. AmericanForum.com

Like I said ... for me you can give Twitter to the birds and I wouldn't miss it ... but for traffic generation it is what it is. :)
  17. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Plus, it's fun. :)
  18. AmericanForum.com

Yes breaking traffic records is fun ... too bad we can't do it for XF :)
  19. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Promoted Tweets coming soon to a screen near you. ;)
  20. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Ah yes. :) I misunderstood your post. :(