MG 1.1 Trouble with Watermarks

Bionic Rooster

If I use php 5.4 watermark works, but anything above that php 5.6 or php 7.0 I get errors "Cannot watermark without ImageMagick installed."
When I check php info it says Imagick is installed.
What's the difference between Imagick and ImageMagick?
How can I fix this so I can use php 7.0?

Imagick is the PHP extension and ImageMagick is the actual software application, essentially.

If PHP reckons Imagick is available, that’s a good sign.

But it may indicate that the actual ImageMagick binary you have installed on the server doesn’t support that version of the Imagick extension.

You would need to upgrade ImageMagick on the server which may be something only your host can do depending on your hosting.

Actually, I stand corrected.

The error message is technically wrong, it probably should read "Cannot watermark without Imagick installed.".

The watermarking class gives this error when it cannot find the "Imagick" PHP class. So that actually suggests that the problem lies with the PHP extension Imagick.

You would probably find this affected resizing attachments and avatars (if it even lets you enable Imagick in the first place, which based on where this is failing, it probably won't).

Thanks for the info, when I check info.php is shows imagick as installed for all versions of php but it only works for the 5.4 and not the others. I will check with the providers to see if there is an upgrade for ImageMagick as perhaps it's like you said "But it may indicate that the actual ImageMagick binary you have installed on the server doesn’t support that version of the Imagick extension. "

After extensive talks and test with our provider there is no problem with the PHP extension Imagick for 5.6 or 7
On the same server I have XFMG 2.04 installed and watermark works with all php versions that fail with XFMG 1.1.17
so there is a problem with XFMG 1.1.17 watermark that works as expected with php5.4 but not with php5.6 or php7

I kind of mentioned it before but I'm not sure you answered.

If you attempt to enable ImageMagick here under Options > Attachments, does it left you, or is the ImageMagick option disabled?

That's unfortunate.

Just to confirm. If you go to the "Default Image Processor" option, does it allow you to select both options? i.e. if you click GD, then click ImageMagick does it actually allow you to select ImageMagick or does it stay disabled?

Similarly, if you go to the watermark options, does it allow you to click "Watermark Disabled" followed by "Watermark Enabled" and the enabled option gets selected?

Just to confirm. If you go to the "Default Image Processor" option, does it allow you to select both options? i.e. if you click GD, then click ImageMagick does it actually allow you to select ImageMagick or does it stay disabled?
With php 5.4 I can change selections. With php 5.6 and php 7 I can't with XFMG 1.1.17
Similarly, if you go to the watermark options, does it allow you to click "Watermark Disabled" followed by "Watermark Enabled" and the enabled option gets selected?
With php 5.4 I can change selections. With php 5.6 and php 7 I can't with XFMG 1.1.17

HOWEVER on the very same server changing php versions does not affect the functionality of watermarks in xfmg 2.04. It works as expected.
So the conclusion is a problem with xfmg 1.1.17 as xfmg 2.04 works as expected with php 5.6 and php 7

We don't actually require Imagick in XFMG 2.0 for watermarking so that might be what you're seeing there (there's nothing to fail on).

If you cannot change the selections then this is certainly an issue with the Imagick extension. Note that the issue is happening with an XF default option (Default Image Processor) so the issue isn't exclusive to XFMG.

I suggest getting back onto your host or if you'd like us to have a closer look (which might just be merely us confirming it is a server issue) then you would need to renew your license and submit a ticket.

We don't actually require Imagick in XFMG 2.0 for watermarking so that might be what you're seeing there (there's nothing to fail on).
If that's the case perhaps xfmg 1.x.xx should be fixed so it also doesn't require Imagick either
I suggest getting back onto your host or if you'd like us to have a closer look (which might just be merely us confirming it is a server issue) then you would need to renew your license and submit a ticket.
Unfortunately our host is taking the same stand as you. They claim there is no server issue and you claim there is no xfmg issue.

XFMG 1.x is doing exactly what it was designed to do at the time, there's nothing to fix, but we had an opportunity to make improvements in XFMG 2.0 (actually the watermarking capability is standard within XF now, technically, it's just only used by XFMG).

Can you upload a PHP file named info.php to the root of your XF installation, please? In it the contents of the file should be:
PHP:
<?php

phpinfo();
Let me know when that is uploaded and then provide the URL so I can take a look, please.

(And make sure you're running one of the "problematic" PHP versions (probably 7.x is ideal)).

Could you upload the info.php to your community directory? I can see it in the root but need to be sure nothing is overriding it at the directory/alias level.

Top Bottom