1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble importing from vB3.7

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Weston, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Weston

Weston Member

So I just installed xF on a new server and I'm trying to import in my vB database from another, the sql information I entered is correct but when I hit Validate Configuration it hangs for about a minute and I get a 500 Internal Server Error.

Anyone have any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting? My new host is GoDaddy.
  2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Can I assume you checked for things like:
    Correct attachments directory (if applicable)
    Correct avatars directory (if applicable)
    All privileges are set for the database user you supplied credentials for, for the xf database you are importing into?

That is all I can think of at this time.
  3. Weston

Weston Member

Yes, after an hour of searching for similar issues and trouble shooting I am still at a loss. Is this something I should contact my web host about?
  4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Two different servers? Most MySQL servers don't allow remote connections. You will probably need to copy the vB database over to the new server before you can run the import.
  5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

If possible, yes your host would be the one to contact.

Have you used this host before for a forum? For communication purposes you could tell them it is a vbulletin type of forum, I seriously doubt the general tech help person at GD will have heard of xf.

edit: good catch Jake, yes everything needs to be on the same server.
  6. Weston

Weston Member

Thanks, at least that put me on the right track but now I'm at another dead end. Every time I try to import my old db file into a db on my new server I get:

I've got "Character Set" set to utf8
    "Partial Import" checked and "Number of records(queries) to skip from start" set to 1
    and SQL compatibility mode set to MYSQL4
  7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I"m not sure what you mean about "Partial Import" checked? And please note that UTF8 is what xf utilizes so no need to specify it. These are the questions xf B5 asks when I run the importer:
    MySQL Server: localhost
    MySQL Port: 3306
    MySQL User name: <mysql user name typed here>
    MySQL Password: <my usernames mysql password>
    MySQL Database Name: <name of database being imported>
    Table Prefix: <I leave this blank>
    Force Character Set: <I leave this blank>
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That normally indicates the connection has been closed due to a timeout or packet problem.
  9. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

10. Weston

Weston Member

This did the trick, thanks for all the help!