1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Trouble importing database

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Floyd R Turbo, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Well-Known Member

following the importing guidelines thread for this process http://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

I'm transitioning my VB4 forum to XF and I am also switching hostin. I have VB4 on GoDaddy so I exported the DB from the php panel and saved it locally. Not that big of a forum, only about 42 meg for reference.

I have XF installed on my xfhost account and went through all 5 steps of the installation thread http://xenforo.com/help/installation/ and that all went good.

So I have the XF database created and a copy of the bare-bones install saved in case I have to wipe it out and try again.

My issue is trying to import an already existing database from godaddy into xfhost while also switching hosting at the same time. I created a second database in phpmyadmin on xfhost but it has a different name from the one I am importing, and when I try to import it I get a 1044 error:

So I'm trying to transfer the existing VB4 database from the old host to the new one, then I'll import that via the XF admin CP but I can't get the database to import on to the new server

the name of the database I created (to import the old one into) is 'xxxxx_vb' not 'xxxxforum'. is this the problem?

Is there something that I have to do in order to perform this correctly?

I know just enough to be dangerous here so forgive me if I ask stupid sounding questions. Lots of PC & OS experience, next to no DB experience.

2. Floyd R Turbo

Not sure what I did but I got it to import...

3. Floyd R Turbo

I think that when I tried to export the DB, I was exporting the main DB and not all the individual tables within it. With the last export I performed I had to select all the individual tables.

4. Floyd R Turbo

Ok got another problem. After importing I did save the archive log file and it downloaded it to my local PC but I use firefox and it didn't really 'save' it so it's gone. But on this page http://xenforo.com/help/import-redirection/ it says "If you do not archive the data at the end of the import process, you will have an opportunity to do so should you come to start a new import." So how exactly does this work, the page doesn't look the same as the pic on that thread. Do I have to wipe out the database and re-import it, just so I can get the archive log and get my redirects to work right?

5. Floyd R Turbo

never mind I found it in phpmyadmin...

6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The error in your first post indicates that you used the wrong credentials.

Adam Howard likes this.
  7. Floyd R Turbo

Well I don't know what that means. I exported the DB the first time and I think what happened was I had selected the top level forum name along with the information_schema database (that spit out a different error that I didn't post) then the second time I only selected the forum DB, that gave the error I posted, next time I entered the forum DB and selected all the tables, then exported those in bulk and imports the tables into the new DB, which took.