Tried to report spam, was told I have to wait...

DeltaHF

I just tried to report two spam posts here on the forums, and was told I'd have to wait 30 seconds before I could report the second one. That will discourage folks from reporting spam, so you guys might want to change that.

They have a problem when lots of users report the same spam...
Basically, they can have lots of moderation logs all for the same post (so it takes a while to go through all of the moderation pages and delete them and find the unique ones)

What they actually need, is to only have the spam reported once ... and then the report link disappear until the report has been dealt with (avoiding multiple logs for the same post).

I don't think there is a issue of spam going unreported and unnoticed, its more a matter of "too reported" & "too many logs to delete / go through"

I know the OP related to the flood controls but it doesnt seem like it would be that difficult to code something in the spam tools that would throw an error message if the post has already been reported by another member.

I would contact the sales department if had questions before buying.

And as we have all seen posted previously, that sometimes can take longer than what it should. Either way, you have your opinions, I have mine. No worries.

--Edit

And not if I had a question pertaining to the software itself.

And as we have all seen posted previously, that sometimes can take longer than what it should. Either way, you have your opinions, I have mine. No worries.

--Edit

And not if I had a question pertaining to the software itself.
What would concern me before purchasing would be visiting the company site and seeing spam posted in several places.

Always felt a bit silly to me, considering we're doing people a favor by reporting. But it seems most forums keep it regardless, so oh well.

Ok. You win. You can have the last word on this. You have your opinion, I have mine.
I'm totally with you on this.

These forums are an essential first point of contact. Brand new users must be able to post, try out the excellent software and support and get answers to their questions with minimal restrictions.

Spam is a pretty standard part of all forum software. I expect that XenForo is particularly targeted at the moment as it's a pretty new and growing target thanks to recent support from Xrumer. No it doesn't look great, but neither does preventing potential customers from asking questions in the format that they want. Community support is an essential part of most forum software and the support provided here is top class. It won't be if we can't show that to potential customers.

yeah, for that reason there i was thinking of what you said/suggested below here:

What they actually need, is to only have the spam reported once ... and then the report link disappear until the report has been dealt with (avoiding multiple logs for the same post).
"

Then spam would only be reported ONCE, not multiple reports for the same spam threads reported. The report link disappearing for all others once it's been reported, could help lesson the amount of reports, and users know in general .. that's it's already been reported too. Maybe someone make a resource for this lol.

if; reported once = hide report link and hide reported post.

maybe hiding "report link" and actually hiding the reported post as well.

Or hold the first few newly registered member's posts for moderation.

that's what IPB does to their new members, moderate all their posts in Pre-sales section or whatever.. I had to wait each time till my post was approved. I left, never bought, never went back lol. Shyt pissed me off more than anything... moderating my every post!?!? wtf!?!?.. I asked a staff about it, they said they wanted to make sure the questions got full and proper attention and reply needed. Pfft.. cya IPB lol

Basically, they can have lots of moderation logs all for the same post (so it takes a while to go through all of the moderation pages and delete them and find the unique ones)

Another solution is to have one moderation log for one post and reports arranged in timely order. ;)

Top Bottom