1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Tricksy User Upgrades questions.

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by ScarletCox, Nov 17, 2015.

1. ScarletCox

ScarletCox Active Member

Me again! :D

Our forum has a $10 paywall. Or, rather, it did on IPB4. It was a simple matter to channel a new registration through the store to pick up the $10 charge and ensure it was paid before the new user had access.

I cannot for the life of me work out how to replicate this under xF. The Account Upgrades system doesn't allow for fine-tuning at this level, and the only add-on I can find which offers paywall functionality doesn't let you set which of your User Upgrades is the paywall, so the new user gets to choose from any or all of them without any guidance as to which one they're supposed to get.

Is there some jiggery-pokery I'm missing? Some hotwiring I can do behind the wheel to re-open my forum to new members? 'Cause at the moment without a viable paywall we've had to disable registrations and we've got a queue a mile long hammering at the gates :D

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The system hasn't been designed to allow certain upgrades to be disabled until a specific one has been purchased (it works the other way).

Really all you can do is place a Notice on the account upgrade page (and other pages if required) explaining that they need to purchase that particular upgrade first.

The account upgrade title and description should also help to differentiate between them.

3. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

The way I'd do it would be to have the standard Registered Users group - with no access to anything. which displays a notice indicating they need to purchase a subscription, set up a paid subscription in User Upgrades and add a new usergroup giving them access to the areas you want them to see, which they're promoted to once they've bought the upgrade.

4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

5. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Damn both of you, I was writing a message too!

Amaury and Lisa like this.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

7. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I don't feel so bad now :coffee:

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Come on... I left it 10 minutes to give everyone else a chance.

Amaury, ScarletCox and Lisa like this.
  9. ScarletCox

ScarletCox Active Member

Hahaha. Ten minutes and still managed to snipe it! :D

I'm just popping @Daniel Hood's Enhanced User Essentials on because he says that allows for stock levels and such, then I'll dig into those two add-ons @Brogan's found to see if they can be hammered into doing the job. Thanks! :)

10. ScarletCox

ScarletCox Active Member

This is exactly how I've done it, but they also see all the other available User Upgrades when they look there - things like our subscriptions, our event tickets, all the bewildering array of possible things they could choose. Then right down the bottom of the list is New Member Registration u__u.

Lisa likes this.
  11. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I can see your problem :) It's where the notice probably comes in useful, indicating which one they need to buy

12. ScarletCox

ScarletCox Active Member

I agree. And I'd go that route... if these people could even work out how to reset their password.

*cough*.

Lisa likes this.
  13. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, I feel your pain :D

ScarletCox likes this.
  14. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

ScarletCox likes this.
  15. ScarletCox

ScarletCox Active Member

Cheers @Steve F! If I can't find an add-on to do it I'll roll up my sleeves and get into the guts myself :D

Dakota Storm likes this.