1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Transfering to new server

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by epic_ninj4, May 6, 2015.

1. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

Hey everyone,
    I am a bit of a noob. I am looking to transfer the website and mysql database to a new server. I am aware of how to transfer the mysql database but not xenforo. Firstly, what is the easiest way to transfer the files across and second how do i change the database settings, I had a look around but couldnt find them anywhere. Thanks for all your help.

2. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Do you have cPanel on both servers? You can do a cpanel - cpanel transfer. If you have root access to both servers you could just compress your files, use SCP to send it to the new server and extract it.

epic_ninj4 likes this.
  3. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

no im using phpmyadmin. Im just planning to export and import the databases. But im not sure how to change the databases in the xenforo settings as it will be a new database user. And im not sure how and which files i need to transfer into the new server via filetransfer.

4. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

The DB settings are in the config file in /library.

epic_ninj4 likes this.
  5. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

and how would i copy the files from my current server to the new one? cause i dont want to loss the background, settings etc.

6. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

This depends how you have access to the server.
    Root = SCP copy
    Ftp = download to your desktop and upload on the new server.

For DB if you use phpmyadmin only you must export the old one to your desktop and import at the new one.

epic_ninj4 likes this.
  7. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

but what folder do i need to copy for it to work correctly?

8. The Forum Heroes

everything inside public_html or www depending on your system. It's hard to help you as you never answered our questions about what OS your using and if you have root access.

epic_ninj4 likes this.
  9. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

sorry, im using a shared hosting atm, moving to a dedicated. I have access to all my files on the server and my user has fully perms for my files (not root though). I am not sure what the shared host is using but i will be converting to linux centos 6.6 as i know a little bit about it.

10. The Forum Heroes

Do you have SSH access with the shared host? If not you'll need to download your site to your desktop.

epic_ninj4 likes this.
  11. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

yes i do.

12. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

Don't get me wrong.
    But these are basics.

If you don't even know this the step to a dedicated server should be think about again.

13. The Forum Heroes

Compress and gunzip your public_html folder and then SCP it to your new server using the command scp public_html.tar.gz root@new-server-ip:/home extract it and move it into your new account folder.

epic_ninj4 likes this.
  14. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

okay thanks.

15. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

my last server they were in the 'public_html' directory but that is not in the new one on a LAMP setup. i put the files in the '/var/www/html' and the front page loads but when i try to go anyways else i get errors like this 'The requested URL /forums/ was not found on this server.'

16. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

Can you please post the link to your forum?

17. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

18. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

19. epic_ninj4

epic_ninj4 Member

20. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member