1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Transfering mysql database to new host

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Aberidius, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

Hi. I've decided to switch my webhost since they don't seem to care enough about helping us so i was wondering, how would i do when transfering to my new host? i've downloaded the database file, do i just import it to the new database?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

And how does SSH work? Never used that before.
  4. Brogan

You need root access, which typically won't be available if you are on a shared server.
  5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

SSH access is available on at least some sharesd server webhosting, I had it when I was with Dreamhost.

It may be worth asking your new web host if they can transferred the database for you. I use Nimbus Hosting who provided this service for me for free. I could have done it myself but I took up the offer as it costs nothing and saved me the hassle. :)
  6. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

I want my host to be within Sweden. I spoke to the new host today, they said its not possible with shared but with a VPS, so, there is no way for me to transfer if i use Shared?
  7. Brogan

You can try using phpMyAdmin to export/import but it may not work - the size of the database can be a factor.