Transfering files from old to new server

Sunka

I am in process of transfering my Xenforo files from old server to new one.

My forum is still online on old server because I can not transfer through ssh, so I have to do it in old fashion way through FTP (old server => my computer => new server).

I transfers most files till today, but what files (attachments, avatars, resources files) must be uploaded after I put forum offline for transfering database?

If attachments (folders internal data and data) are created in time order (folder 1 first 1000 files, folder 2 second 1000 files, etc...) is it safe to transfer every folder except last one in internal data and data dir before I put forum offline?

Is there any other files/folders that can be transfered only after I put forum offline? Also I have istalled XenForo media gallery add on

P.S. Until forum is not transfered to new server, there would be no xenforo upgrading or addons installing/upgrading.

Thanks

Last edited:
is it safe to transfer every folder except last one in internal data and data dir before I put forum offline?
It's still possible for existing attachments to be deleted but the only consequence of that is there would be surplus files on the new server, so it would essentially be fine.
Additionally, members can update their avatars and they wouldn't be updated on the new server.

You should be able to copy all of the files and just synchronize the latest folders in the /data and internal_data directories.

Ideally though you would ensure they match between the two servers.

I moved my forum (files + database) from old server (Apache) to new server (Nginx).
Forum is working very nice.

Is it safe to delete all .htaccess files cause nginx does not need them.
Is there any other files I can delete from Xenforo folders?

Also, in Perfomance option in ACP I enabled "minify css" and "Fetch public templates as files".
Any bad experience for enabling that two options?

Any bad experience for enabling that two options?
For minifying CSS, I think it is strongly recommended to have a cache defined in your `config.php` if you don't already.

For storing templates as files, I believe it makes sense to also make sure you have an opcode cache configured for PHP itself.

Would recommend to use rsync between the 2 servers or -at least- to tar the whole XF installation directory before transferring and move the tar file to the new server. This makes sure all permissions are set correctly and no file will be missed.

For minifying CSS, I think it is strongly recommended to have a cache defined in your `config.php` if you don't already
I have Redis
For storing templates as files, I believe it makes sense to also make sure you have an opcode cache configured for PHP itself.
I have php 5.6.x so opcode cache is allready built in
Would recommend to use rsync between the 2 servers or -at least- to tar the whole XF installation directory before transferring and move the tar file to the new server. This makes sure all permissions are set correctly and no file will be missed.
I allready download all files to my computer and uploaded to new server (5 days for 11 GB) cause on old server SSH was not enabled.

I allready download all files to my computer and uploaded to new server (5 days for 11 GB) cause on old server SSH was not enabled.

Since both servers run web servers for sure, you could have placed the tar.gz file in the web directory at the old server and just have used curl, wget etc to transfer the big file to the new server. ;)

But my tip is too late, I know. :)

Top Bottom