XF 1.5 Transfer user to a different account upgrade

Mr Lucky

Say I have two upgrades (same price) but they each upgrade to a different secondary user group. (Iin fact we have several prices for the same promotion - either annual or recurring monthly, I'm not sure that makes a difference to the answer)

Upgrade A = users are promoted to secondary user group A for the duration of the upgrade
Upgrade B = users are promoted to secondary user group A & B for the duration of the upgrade

I want to remove upgrade A (and its associated user group A) these so there is only one option available (B), my question is can I transfer the users from upgrade A to upgrade B.

There are only five users with that have upgrade B so not a problem to change things manually if necessary. But if I can do this the previous A users will then have user group B, which needs to automatically demote when the upgrade expires , as if they had signed up to upgrade B from the start.

Is this possible at all or will they have to each wait until their upgrade A expires and then purchase upgrade B?

Thanks (hope it makes sense)

If these are recurring payments as implied, this is somewhat difficult. You don't want to remove a user upgrade that people have now and would need to maintain in the future automatically. You can disable the upgrade from being purchased while maintaining it.

If they aren't recurring payments, then you could make a note of when their expiration is and then manually upgrade them to B with that expiration date and expire A immediately.

Note that as move users in A were only given group A when they upgraded, B won't get removed from them automatically unless the system knows that it was added as part of the upgrade for them. That would likely require some manual work to resolve.

OK thanks.

Would it be OK, while keeping upgrade B, to delete one of the usergroups. i.e. actually delete the user group itself not just remove it from the user upgrade.

Obviously be deleting the group it will disappear from the account upgrade settings, but will it mess at all with any of the existing users upgrades?

many thanks.

So just to clarify:

Removing an account upgrade has no effect on a one-off upgrade apart from when they come to renew they will need to choose a different upgrade.

Removing an account upgrade will have no effect at all on a recurring subscription - they will stay in the promoted user group until the cancel the sub in Paypal (as they would anyway)

Removing an account upgrade has no effect on a one-off upgrade apart from when they come to renew they will need to choose a different upgrade.
This should be mostly fine, though note that we formally recommend not removing a user upgrade while people have it.

It's a bit of an edge case with non-recurring upgrades, but it will prevent any calls from PayPal from being processed. One of the first things we need to do is confirm that the user upgrade exists and that will fail. This would prevent refunds/chargebacks from being processed properly.

Our recommendation is to disable the upgrade (make it not purchasable).

Removing an account upgrade will have no effect at all on a recurring subscription - they will stay in the promoted user group until the cancel the sub in Paypal (as they would anyway)
The above applies here too, but this is not correct. They would stay upgraded until their current recurring period ends. Processing of the next payment would fail (for the above reasons), so the period wouldn't be extended within XF and they would be downgraded. However, the payment within PayPal would've gone through.

If you manually cancel the recurring payments within PayPal, then they should basically timeout like a non-recurring upgrade, but we'd still recommend allowing the upgrade to exist until no one has it any more at least. (Removing the upgrade will affect how some of the older logs look too.)

Top Bottom