Lack of interest Touch device detection

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Wrye

I'm getting the following error when trying to crop an image in media gallery:
This operation will not work from a touch enabled device.
I can understand this when using a mobile device but I'm using a laptop that has a touch screen. Is there a way to disable the touch screen restrictions on cropping images and other tools? I can see this becoming a problem for many of my forum users (and myself) that are using newer laptops. Would be nice if this restriction could be turned off in some way or if the restrictions could be placed on mobile browsers. Though I'm not really concerned if it just doesn't work from mobile devices.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't really have any advice to give on this at the moment.

Detecting a touch device isn't an exact science anyway and it's even more difficult now you can have devices that can do both. Essentially, we know you're using a touch device so we have to do things in a way that assumes you haven't got any other input methods. The flip side of the coin is we don't have the restrictions at all then you have users trying to use features they just can't use.

Longer term we would need to look at better methods of detecting touch/hybrid devices, and/or implementing touch support for operations which can't currently be used at all on touch devices.

These are all quite longer term, though, so you may have to bear with us.

In the meantime, I will move this to the XenForo Suggestions forum (the detection comes from XF itself and actually impacts other things such as hover intentions on things like menus and tooltips) but there is a bit of a crossover in that cropping and face tagging could theoretically be made to support touch devices.

Essentially, we know you're using a touch device so we have to do things in a way that assumes you haven't got any other input methods. The flip side of the coin is we don't have the restrictions at all then you have users trying to use features they just can't use.
Perhaps instead of blocking the feature all together a warning message could pop up stating that the feature might not work as designed from touch screen devices but still accept input from other devices.

I had some odd behavior after I disabled the touch screen drivers on my computer. On Chrome I still got the error message saying that I cannot crop a picture from a touch device.....but when I tried it on Edge I was able to crop the picture without any problems. Any idea why it might be doing this?

Top Bottom