Total cost for setting up a decent forum using XenForo

joshthedon

First you pay license fee then you pay for plugins and who knows what more. Can anyone let me know how much it will cost me to setup a decent forum?

Again, you can get a decent forum without branding removal.
What's the point? All the optional features are basically the main requirements.
Why do someone will pay a license fee and keep link to them?
There are plenty of plugins which are essential and can't be optional so here you go and hence my original question.

A 'decent forum' is subjective. It's about the content. Why do you care that others see its built by XenForo? You don't need branding removal to gain members. Members don't care.
Members don't pay licence fee so why would they care? I pay fee and I don't want to link them after paying fee. This is extortion. WordPress.com removes branding link if you purchase their paid subscription. It's a normal thing to do.

If they want to keep the branding in footer then they should make it a free software and remove branding when licence is purchased.

I'm not saying to give away everything for free. A a developer I know how much effort it takes to build a decent software but why to enforce branding after receiving licence fee?

As developer when we build any website we don't force clients to keep the footer branding link or force them to pay more to remove it.

'As a developer' that is your choice. It's not like there is a free edition of XF where, in your world - a branding link would be essential. Some people, probably most people don't care about a branding link - others, who wish to make it 'White label' and completely free of branding have that option, and pay appropriately. The price is up to them.

I think chocolate digestives are more expensive than they need to be - Will I go without them because I think the price is 'extortionate' ? No. Because they're awesome, and in my perfectly valid opinion - as is XF.

This is the structure of how they wish to market, develop and sell their product. No one is extorting you. No one is forcing you to buy this. It sounds like XF isn't for you, and Wordpress is. If you want another forum solution that meets your needs - best find another one that works with Wordpress (if that is what you desire)

'As a developer' that is your choice. It's not like there is a free edition of XF where, in your world - a branding link would be essential. Some people, probably most people don't care about a branding link - others, who wish to make it 'White label' and completely free of branding have that option, and pay appropriately. The price is up to them.

I think chocolate digestives are more expensive than they need to be - Will I go without them because I think the price is 'extortionate' ? No. Because they're awesome, and in my perfectly valid opinion - as is XF.

This is the structure of how they wish to market, develop and sell their product. No one is extorting you. No one is forcing you to buy this. It sounds like XF isn't for you, and Wordpress is. If you want another forum solution that meets your needs - best find another one that works with Wordpress (if that is what you desire)
I don't think a developer would build a software with a footer link in mind and make it his business model for pricing. This is the most ridiculous argument I've ever read.

I don't think a developer would build a software with a footer link in mind and make it his business model for pricing. This is the most ridiculous argument I've ever read.
You act like XF is the only company that does this. vBulletin does it, IPS does it, UBB does it, SMF used to do it (limited cases).

Heck, Circle is subscription based and you can’t remove the branding until you go up a tier.

Plenty of software you buy doesn’t let you remove the branding at all.

troll GIF

$250 for removing branding, WTF!
You know, you dont have to pay for this if you just keep the branding at your footer? I never understand why some people like you care that much about the branding at footer, if you enjoy the software you should be more happy to keep it there to show support to Xenforo. If you dont enjoy it, then just use something else, you have other options available. Just stop complaining already, no one wants to listen to your rant, or maybe you are just trolling.

My site wears the XenForo branding with pride. We have the media gallery and ElasticSearch add-ons as well as XenRio.
It’s my feeling that all this software is quite cheap. All these purchases account for a single work day for me and it would take me years to build something similar.

Seriously guys, are we still making a discussion about the copyright removal costs? :ROFLMAO: This little line is at the bottom of your forum, and no one bothers it. As well, $160 for this system, is nothing! So yeah support this guys if you dont want branding and just pay the $300 dollars for their hard work, so you can promote it as it is your own.... :unsure:

Top Bottom