1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Too Much Spam Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Pankaj Biswas, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Pankaj Biswas

Pankaj Biswas Member

Hi there,
    In my forum I am getting too much spam posts tough "Email Verification" and "Captcha" are enabled for user registration. I want to know if there is a way to limit newly registered users ability to post link and images to a certain post counts etc, or any other suggestion to stop the spammers?
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Use XenUtiles
    kprojects likes this.
  3. kprojects

kprojects Well-Known Member

Another vote for xenutiles.
  4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is a new spam program called Xrumer that spammers are using to attack forums everywhere.

Here is a good discussion about dealing with spam:

One of the easiest things you can do to block spam registrations is to enable Q&A captcha:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> User Registration -> Use Question & Answer CAPTCHA

But you need to create some good questions. Ideally you should avoid numeric answers, and also avoid having questions where the answer is contained in the question.
  5. Cryptaline

Cryptaline Active Member

Easier = better = profit :giggle:
    I ve solved this with Q&A (easy to google/wiki questions about NASA, YouTube, Earth, Google & famous ppl) this type of question wont annoy people and wont let spamers to break through your security.

Don't have even a single spam attack.
  6. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

FredC, gordy and DFI like this.
  7. DFI

DFI Active Member

I too switched to Q&A and get rid of 200+ spammers/day. And since yesterday switched from re-captcha to keycaptcha. Life is Easy now :)
  8. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

Try changing your Q&A's
    That helped me reduce the spam.. but this has been posted in at least 3 threads lately as well.
  9. Pankaj Biswas

Pankaj Biswas Member

Thank you guys for the suggestions. Using XenUtiles and Sadik's AntiSpam it looks "Solved".