• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.1 Too Much Spam Issue

Hi there,
In my forum I am getting too much spam posts tough "Email Verification" and "Captcha" are enabled for user registration. I want to know if there is a way to limit newly registered users ability to post link and images to a certain post counts etc, or any other suggestion to stop the spammers?

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
There is a new spam program called Xrumer that spammers are using to attack forums everywhere.

Here is a good discussion about dealing with spam:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/my-forums-getting-lots-of-spam.35195/

One of the easiest things you can do to block spam registrations is to enable Q&A captcha:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> User Registration -> Use Question & Answer CAPTCHA

But you need to create some good questions. Ideally you should avoid numeric answers, and also avoid having questions where the answer is contained in the question.

Cryptaline

Easier = better = profit :giggle:
I ve solved this with Q&A (easy to google/wiki questions about NASA, YouTube, Earth, Google & famous ppl) this type of question wont annoy people and wont let spamers to break through your security.

E.G:

Earth, alternative names?

Terra, Gaia
Terra
Gaia

/

NASA, motto?

For the Benefit of All
Don't have even a single spam attack.

DFI

I too switched to Q&A and get rid of 200+ spammers/day. And since yesterday switched from re-captcha to keycaptcha. Life is Easy now :)