Too much cpu usage

Claudio

I´m on a shared hosting and my new xenforo site is using too much cpu resources
5.0 30994 0.1 01:04 0:00 /usr/bin/php /home/XX_USER/public_html/forum/index.php

why the index.php is using so many resources?

20 online users (right now) its the normal traffic and 20% cpu usage

I hope it still the same :)

I have roughly 300 users online 24/7 with a VPS node, you clearly need more resources then whatever that shared account provides, providing you've made no modifications to index.php. Shared hosting can be pretty rough sometimes, even a shoutbox constantly refreshing can bring it all down.

Should ask the tech people on the other end were most of resources are coming from, theres some pointless stuff this system has that could be eating your resources/etc like the Alert module/etc

When I first installed XenForo on my shared hosting using Beta 3, I have to be honest and say compared to using MyBB before the time-outs and me hitting server resource CPU limit was getting totally out of hand and I very nearly pulled XenForo down that first week. My shared host uses a tool displayed in my cPanel that monitors resource limit and acts on it also, I checked one day when things was bad and the site had hit the CPU limit around 49 times.

Later, when upgrading to Beta 4 from 3 things have been great since. Not sure why it's made such a huge difference, but I was getting many of the same error logs with Beta 3 that I'm no longer getting now using Beta 4.

I've no complaints about how it's running now, but that very first week using Beta 3 was a nightmare.

01.webp 03.webp 02.webp

On a forum yeah... xenforo is not a social networking platform, it's merely a forum.

Imagine the alert module with a forum with thousands online, would be horrendous I imagine
?
A forum is a medium that requires social interaction, making alerts a feature that benefits your users.

Also, none of the big boards have yet to complain about the alerts having a negative impact on their forums.

yes but you are talking about beta 3/4 of XF 1.1?
currently I´m using 1.0.4 version
When I first installed XenForo on my shared hosting using Beta 3, I have to be honest and say compared to using MyBB before the time-outs and me hitting server resource CPU limit was getting totally out of hand and I very nearly pulled XenForo down that first week. My shared host uses a tool displayed in my cPanel that monitors resource limit and acts on it also, I checked one day when things was bad and the site had hit the CPU limit around 49 times.

Later, when upgrading to Beta 4 from 3 things have been great since. Not sure why it's made such a huge difference, but I was getting many of the same error logs with Beta 3 that I'm no longer getting now using Beta 4.

I've no complaints about how it's running now, but that very first week using Beta 3 was a nightmare.

View attachment 20982 View attachment 20983 View attachment 20984
yes but you are talking about beta 3/4 of XF 1.1?
currently I´m using 1.0.4 version

Then you're probably going to want to wait until 1.1 is gold or take the plunge and do it now. I don't think there will probably be too many more betas before gold (of course, I have no idea really), but it seems to be the case. If you look at the updates posted for each of the betas for 1.1, you'll see that many of them have performance based changes in them.

Then you're probably going to want to wait until 1.1 is gold or take the plunge and do it now. I don't think there will probably be too many more betas before gold (of course, I have no idea really), but it seems to be the case. If you look at the updates posted for each of the betas for 1.1, you'll see that many of them have performance based changes in them.
thanks, these are good news. However, I dont expect too much perfomance improvement on cpu usage

I'd be surprised if your host doesn't use an opcode cacher like APC or XCache, which are great ways to save on cpu usage.

You couldn't be more wrong. The alerts feature alone is single handedly responsible for posting rates tripling on my forum.

How so Brogan? In what way are you using alerts to boost the posting rate of members?

In general, I would love to hear creative ideas on how XF Admins are using the Alerts.

How so Brogan? In what way are you using alerts to boost the posting rate of members?

In general, I would love to hear creative ideas on how XF Admins are using the Alerts.

It really quite elementary...

With older forum systems, people would have to subscribe to threads or check their User CP for updates to threads they are watching. But with the XF alerts system, people are more aware about threads, posts & other activities. For me, even here at the XenForo site, I'm much more alert on what's going on by the alert system. I don't have to go looking for threads I replied to or check another screen for threads I watch. I can just simply click on the alerts button and I click right into the thread that was updated.

I'm planning on rolling XF out onto a medium-sized site and based on what I have seen here and other XF sites, I expect to user interaction increase because of this positive response alert system.

Exactly what ENF said ^

I'm not doing anything different or special, all I have done is check all alert types for new registrations; that at least makes new members aware of the system and if they wish, they can change the settings via their account.

Top Bottom