XF 2.1 Toggle/disable rich editor?

puterfixer

Hi,

After the recent update to 2.1, one user on my forum is complaining that posting from his Windows Phone is now impossible. Apparently the JS which checks the text content (for emoji shortcodes, mentions, URLs to be unfurled etc.) goes crazy every time he types a new character, resizing the textbox, scrolling the window etc.

I don't have a Windows Phone to replicate or test in more detail, and he's too attached to the Windows Phone (despite our friendly ridicule on an unsupported device) to even consider jumping ship to an Android or iOS phone.

So I'd like to be able to allow users to at least toggle this functionality of the rich editor, maybe through a toolbar button, but definitely at user level (or even better at device level) instead of a global setting. The ability to disable this based on user agent would be even better.

Is there a way I can add such a button, or is this a setting I have missed? Are you guys aware of any plugin that would do this?

Many thanks in advance!

The final "gear" button on the editor toolbar will do this. It will be maintained per device.

I think I may have a Windows Phone device somewhere around here. If I can reproduce it, I'll see if we can disable it by user agent, though as you've noted, Windows Phone is basically dead already so he's going to need to switch at some point. ;)

Thanks for the fast reply, Mike! You'd be surprised how much virtual ink flowed from just a handful of users in a few days on this :D Somehow our small community (incidentally called XF years before XenForo came into existence) is an endless source of puns between characters - the Windows 95 hardcore user, the doomsday apocalypse survival prepper, the Apple fanboy... and now the Windows Phone end-of-life denialist. :D :D

I was aware of the "Toggle BB Code" button, but does it turn off all JS triggers for typing?

I was aware of the "Toggle BB Code" button, but does it turn off all JS triggers for typing?
Technically not all, but tens of thousands of lines of JS won't be used then. And it falls back to a native textboxes, which phones tend to handle better overall.

Ok, sounds just like what we need. Trouble is, he claims that none of the toolbar buttons are visible. Is there any other way to toggle the setting? Is it a cookie value, or a database value?

But the toolbar should still be visible, just disabled/greyed out, with the cog wheel available to re-enable it, right?

Apparently nothing shows up above the textbox, and there is no way to toggle the rich text editor, but it remains active. I asked for a screenshot and I'll update this thread when I get it.

[later edit] Here's a screenshot of the reply textbox - no toolbar loaded at all, to be able to toggle the rich editor.

Attachments

• 1549625786169.webp
    1549625786169.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Top Bottom