TMDb TV Thread Starter for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Ahhhh, that's great. (y)

I don't suppose there's a way to change/undo the rating from the front-end once it's been inputted? I got a bit rating-trigger happy on my test run. :P

I think some users might decide to change their rating later if they rewatch a TV series later or if they accidentally clicked the wrong rating. :whistle: If it's not possible I would love it to be a feature request. Maybe in the style of the XenForo resource manager (hovering over the stars lets you set the change the existing rating) or even clicking any of the stars could trigger that rating overlay again.

Ahhhh, that's great. (y)

I don't suppose there's a way to change/undo the rating from the front-end once it's been inputted? I got a bit rating-trigger happy on my test run. :p

I think some users might decide to change their rating later if they rewatch a TV series later or if they accidentally clicked the wrong rating. :whistle: If it's not possible I would love it to be a feature request. Maybe in the style of the XenForo resource manager (hovering over the stars lets you set the change the existing rating) or even clicking any of the stars could trigger that rating overlay again.
Unfortunately, the only way to kill the rating would be to delete the thread and re-post it.

I put a 'different' rating system on the wish list for the add-on on my own when I did the TGDB thread starter. I'm not quite sure if it will include changing a vote yet or not. It may just include multiple votes for each user. It is not being worked on yet, so I'm not saying it will happen soon.

Alright, well if it's on the future feature wishlist that's fine then. :)

Got another question.. :D

I'm updating some entries on TMDB TV and some of the lesser-known titles have inappropriate poster images, so I've uploaded better poster images and have been able to get my versions to display as the default on TMDB TV. Looking at TMDB you can upload multiple poster and episode images, with the default one being determined based on user votes.

My question is, will your add-on recognise the new default poster image and update automatically at some point or would I have to delete the TV category forum / season subforum on my end and recreate it so it fetches the new default poster image from TMDB TV?

I see you have a cron entry for fetching missing images and info for TV episode threads - which works great to get the thread created ahead of time for those Currently Airing titles.

I guess what I'm after is a way to trigger a rebuild of all images - if possible to re-fetch images only if the default TMDB one is different from the locally stored one.

Last edited:
Customisation question (maybe other users of the add-on can help out here).

Which template/file would I need to edit to change the layout of the data that is automatically inputted in the first post for a episode thread in a TV category forum ( if that is allowed? :) )

I would like to move the name of the TV title to where the episode title is, above it:
move-heading-tmdb.webp

My question is, will your add-on recognise the new default poster image and update automatically at some point or would I have to delete the TV category forum / season subforum on my end and recreate it so it fetches the new default poster image from TMDB TV?

I see you have a cron entry for fetching missing images and info for TV episode threads - which works great to get the thread created ahead of time for those Currently Airing titles.

I guess what I'm after is a way to trigger a rebuild of all images - if possible to re-fetch images only if the default TMDB one is different from the locally stored one.
Once a poster exists, it is permanently used by the thread starter for the reverse reason you're giving for changing it. When the add-on was being developed, some valid posters changed to inappropriate posters. So, if it is already shown the only way to change the poster is to remove the forum or season and repost it.

Note that it can take up to 24 hours for changes seen on the actual TMDb site to show up in the API database.

Customisation question (maybe other users of the add-on can help out here).

Which template/file would I need to edit to change the layout of the data that is automatically inputted in the first post for a episode thread in a TV category forum ( if that is allowed? :) )

I would like to move the name of the TV title to where the episode title is, above it:
This is done in the actual PHP in library/Snog/TvThreads/Forum.php beginning around line 628 and it also controlled by custom BB Codes in library/Snog/TvThreads/Bbcode/Formatter/Base.php & Text.php. Use caution here because you may either mess up the actual display or the meta data if not done properly.

Also, be aware that any changes you make will not appear in existing threads.

Last edited:
Thanks @Snog, I can live with that. Update poster, wait for API refresh. Then bam we're good to go. :)

On another note... I think I've found a bug.

Inside TV episode threads, selective quoting isn't working properly for me. The XF feature where you partially highlight text in someone's post then click "Reply" (to quote them in the Quick Reply box below), if you do that inside a TV episode thread it sends the whole user's post regardless of which text you've highlighted.

Just to clarify, this XF feature:
upload_2016-2-29_15-15-2.webp

Might be an add-on conflict on my end but just thought I'd report it.

Inside TV episode threads, selective quoting isn't working properly for me. The XF feature where you partially highlight text in someone's post then click "Reply" (to quote them in the Quick Reply box below), if you do that inside a TV episode thread it sends the whole user's post regardless of which text you've highlighted.
Thanks for the report. I'll see what can be done.

Actually it's not happening in an episode thread, it's happening in a TV thread that has episodes posted in it. There is a difference between the two.

On my site, this forum contains TV Episode Threads...
https://snogssite.com/forums/the-big-bang-theory-season-9.157/

This TV thread contains episodes in the Thread...
https://snogssite.com/threads/the-x-files.1740/

Last edited:
For a given title, is it possible to add Season Specials as a new season forum? I tried inputting 0 as the season in the overlay but that didn't work so perhaps it's not supported at this time?

For a given title, is it possible to add Season Specials as a new season forum? I tried inputting 0 as the season in the overlay but that didn't work so perhaps it's not supported at this time?
That's not possible at this time, but may be in the next release.

Any chance Allow Mixed Content per forum for tv show and movies?
Mixed content in the sense of regular threads and move/TV show threads is already allowed in both add-ons.

If you mean mixed content so far as movies and TV shows in the same forum, no. That's not possible.

I've run into a slight issue with TV titles that have rather long names.

An example TMDB title ID: 65948

Although it creates the title forum correctly, if you then try to create a new Season forum within it, it exceeds Xenforo's 50 character limit for nodes...
enter-value.webp

I have worked around it by increasing the forum title character length (xf_node.title) in library/XenForo/DataWriter/Node.php and thread title character length in library/XenForo/DataWriter/Discussion.php
(found the reference in another thread and this thread for thread title length)

I suppose the long term fix for this, XenForo would need to include an option to change the forum title/node character length? As of course my core file edit changes get reverted each XF upgrade. :(

I've run into a slight issue with TV titles that have rather long names.

An example TMDB title ID: 65948

Although it creates the title forum correctly, if you then try to create a new Season forum within it, it exceeds Xenforo's 50 character limit for nodes...
View attachment 133647

I have worked around it by increasing the forum title character length (xf_node.title) in library/XenForo/DataWriter/Node.php and thread title character length in library/XenForo/DataWriter/Discussion.php
(found the reference in another thread and this thread for thread title length)

I suppose the long term fix for this, XenForo would need to include an option to change the forum title/node character length? As of course my core file edit changes get reverted each XF upgrade. :(
Yes, that show has a 45 character title to begin with. So, adding the season and episode info is sure to throw it over the title limit which is out of my control.

The only thing I can suggest is to remove the show title from the episode posts. You can do this by editing the library/Snog/TvThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php file. Locate this (should be line 658)...
Code:
$input['title'] = $plain_title[0] . ': S' . str_pad($tvepisode['season_number'],2,'0', STR_PAD_LEFT) . 'E' . str_pad($tvepisode['episode_number'],2,'0', STR_PAD_LEFT);
And change it to this...
Code:
$input['title'] = 'S' . str_pad($tvepisode['season_number'],2,'0', STR_PAD_LEFT) . 'E' . str_pad($tvepisode['episode_number'],2,'0', STR_PAD_LEFT);
That will give the season number, episode number and episode name (if there is one) as the thread title.

And remove the show title from the season forums. Edit the library/Snog/TvThreads/ControllerPublic/Threads.php file. Locate this (should be line 287)...
Code:
$title = $forum['title'] . ': ' . html_entity_decode($season['name']);
And change it to this...
Code:
$title = html_entity_decode($season['name']);
I'll probably include a new option to leave out the show name in episode posts/forums in the next release.

Last edited:
I'll probably include a new option to leave out the show name in episode posts/forums in the next release.
This would greatly be appreciated. I've worked around this by extending the forum node/thread title limit via the datawriter.

There seems to be some inconsistency with the way seasons are titled on TheMovieDB TV - some entries have just Season 1, 2, 3, etc. whilst others omit the season number and use just the title of the season name. Both approaches are fine, but you can imagine it does look strange seeing it parse a long season name + TV title.

e.g.
https://animeforums.net/forums/fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya.302/
(TMDB TV entry: 63576)

If there was an inbuilt way to omit the TV title I think that would be good..

Top Bottom