Tips on how to make the move from vb to Xenforo

rexxxy

I want to know from people that made the move already from vb to xf

what to look out for?
Whats are some of the things you recommend to do?
what will you lose in the move if any?
How hard is it to do?
do you have to worry about urls?
how does it affect you when it comes to google ranking?
how does affect your adsense earning?

what to look out for?
Nothing. Just move.
Whats are some of the things you recommend to do?
Install XF on a different directory first before making it live. Make your imports, edit things to your liking, and then make it live.
what will you lose in the move if any?
All your current hacks in vB.
How hard is it to do?
Easy like a butter.
do you have to worry about urls?
Yes, and no. Yes, if you want to keep the 100,000 URL's going to your new XF. No, if the URL structures were all over the place, and you want to pretty much eliminate them. And you don't really need the extra "help." My site was on root, and not on a different directory, so I didn't have to worry about Google and other search engines looking for content.
how does it affect you when it comes to google ranking?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/codforums-experiencing-growth.19188/ 'nuff said! :D
how does affect your adsense earning?
Depends on the niche, and where you placed them.

The move for me was very uneventful. As Carlos noted, use a new directory or run test installs as many here did when making the switch. Honestly though, the import was impressively smooth. Good luck!

Whats the best import tool to use? I was looking at digitalpoint one but its states you need to be a programmer to use it and im not a programmer

How big is your site? If it's less than a million or so posts, probably best to use the standard importer. If you have many millions of posts and can't be down for days during a migration, you probably should hire a programmer to make some customizations to the one I made for your site.

How big is your site? If it's less than a million or so posts, probably best to use the standard importer. If you have many millions of posts and can't be down for days during a migration, you probably should hire a programmer to make some customizations to the one I made for your site.

I guess standard it is .....thanks

Whats the best import tool to use? I was looking at digitalpoint one but its states you need to be a programmer to use it and im not a programmer
Paul M's (or any suggested) Importer is best for vB4, but 3.6 through 3.8 = Already in your xenForo. :)

One big thing I'd suggest is installing XF in a separate folder and installing all your plugins/styles/hacks. Next backup all your new XF files and most importantly the database. Now you can do test imports and revert back to the clean install with a simple database/file restore.

Top Bottom