tiny house

Jake has always been a bit touched.

Where are you going to store the Borg Mega Cube in your tiny house?

Actually I thought I would install a warp core in the main room.
crazy.gif

292px-Warp_core,_Enterprise-D.webp

ENGAGE!

Interesting variation on tiny house living:

http://cheaprvliving.com/StealthCargoTrailer.html

Using a cargo trailer is much cheaper. It's more of a do-it-yourself on the inside without having to construct the enclosure.

I also like the "stealth" aspect the author talks about. I think stealth might be a necessity in the US. I have been looking for parking for a tiny house for over 2 months. To my dismay I haven't found anyone willing to let me park. Americans are xenophobic amongst themselves and have no concept of reducing consumption. Being stealthy about tiny living would allow me to park anywhere while avoiding judgment and rejection by society which has become a problem for me.

Oooo that video with Jay had me uncomfortable.. he looks like he barely fits in any room, in the bathroom, you could tell by his shoulders he was all "tight" not wanting to hit anything.. and he is not a big guy, and all the fooofing around like with that table for a desk.. eeeks! I really couldn't live like that.

I like the idea of a green house, but not that small!!!

I am learning there is an entire subculture in the US that lives small and mobile and is very secretive about it. Society has laws against that kind of living so these people learn to stay below the radar. In my case I was trying to find some one to let me park which is legal. However, I have found that regardless of the law society as a whole rejects my tiny house idea which is making it very difficult to find parking. It doesn't matter that I am willing to pay rent. People in general just don't like my idea and don't want me on their property.

Of course there are trailer parks but they don't offer what I need. I need parking rent, that's all. Most trailer parks slap on utilities and other fees for things I don't need and then charge apartment rent for a simple parking space. I am discovering there is no such thing as long term off grid livable parking, not even on your own property because of laws against tiny living (otherwise I would have purchased land by now).

It's a shame that society drives these people underground, but it might be understandable. I am finding that most people who live like this are either survivalists or freeloaders. Survivalists are at odds with society and freeloaders aren't well liked. But a true environmentalist who wants to radically reduce his consumption and still contribute to society? I think I am alone in that regard so people group me in with the misfits and reject me on that basis.

I am learning there is an entire subculture in the US that lives small and mobile and is very secretive about it. Society has laws against that kind of living so these people learn to stay below the radar. In my case I was trying to find some one to let me park which is legal. However, I have found that regardless of the law society as a whole rejects my tiny house idea which is making it very difficult to find parking. It doesn't matter that I am willing to pay rent. People in general just don't like my idea and don't want me on their property.

Of course there are trailer parks but they don't offer what I need. I need parking rent, that's all. Most trailer parks slap on utilities and other fees for things I don't need and then charge apartment rent for a simple parking space. I am discovering there is no such thing as long term off grid livable parking, not even on your own property because of laws against tiny living (otherwise I would have purchased land by now).

It's a shame that society drives these people underground, but it might be understandable. I am finding that most people who live like this are either survivalists or freeloaders. Survivalists are at odds with society and freeloaders aren't well liked. But a true environmentalist who wants to radically reduce his consumption and still contribute to society? I think I am alone in that regard so people group me in with the misfits and reject me on that basis.
Maybe people who live like that tends to not contribute to society [taxes and such] that's why society shuns them down? Just an idea.

Maybe people who live like that tends to not contribute to society [taxes and such] that's why society shuns them down? Just an idea.

Yep, I think that is the case.

Willful tax evasion aside, consider that reducing consumption is reducing your societal contributions. Economies depend on consumption so they tend to legislate to that end. The building codes in the US are a good example. My tiny house idea was originally a way to avoid laws against tiny livable structures. Putting the house on wheels avoids the minimum size standards in building codes.

I am learning there is an entire subculture in the US that lives small and mobile and is very secretive about it.

I was reading all about that on the site you linked for the Stealth Cargo Trailer... quite fascinating, a whole society I didn't know existed (I am sure there are many LOL ) I get the gypsy thing, not all of them are survivalists or tax avoiders... many just have a real desire to be truly mobile and uncommitted and free as a bird - which is of course at odds with what we are taught our whole lives. But none of them are green.. not even slightly.. reading some of their stories I was cringing from a green view point.

Really, I think if you want to be Green you are much better off building a small Earth Sheltered dwelling on your own land somewhere, and making it slightly bigger and more livable! Earth Shelterd houses are much more thermo dynamically efficient than anything you can build and have to cart around (burning Fossil fuels in the process, using excessive plastics, and dumping your waste) done right they should require almost no heating or cooling.

Being mobile also pretty much precludes you growing any of your own food which is really a key to reducing your carbon footprint.

There are reasons beyond taxes etc to legislate for minimum sizes, it is un-natural and un-healthy to live in a space where you cannot fully relax for danger of hitting parts of your body.

I applaud your desire to fully embrace a more environmentally sound existance, I just don't believe a tiny house is the real answer.

:)

I was reading all about that on the site you linked for the Stealth Cargo Trailer... quite fascinating, a whole society I didn't know existed (I am sure there are many LOL ) I get the gypsy thing, not all of them are survivalists or tax avoiders... many just have a real desire to be truly mobile and uncommitted and free as a bird - which is of course at odds with what we are taught our whole lives. But none of them are green.. not even slightly.. reading some of their stories I was cringing from a green view point.

Really, I think if you want to be Green you are much better off building a small Earth Sheltered dwelling on your own land somewhere, and making it slightly bigger and more livable! Earth Shelterd houses are much more thermo dynamically efficient than anything you can build and have to cart around (burning Fossil fuels in the process, using excessive plastics, and dumping your waste) done right they should require almost no heating or cooling.

Being mobile also pretty much precludes you growing any of your own food which is really a key to reducing your carbon footprint.

There are reasons beyond taxes etc to legislate for minimum sizes, it is un-natural and un-healthy to live in a space where you cannot fully relax for danger of hitting parts of your body.

I applaud your desire to fully embrace a more environmentally sound existance, I just don't believe a tiny house is the real answer.

:)

I don't want to be mobile. My tiny house plan involves a flatbed trailer for legal reasons. I would love to grow my own food and everything.

Ahhh ok, sorry I misunderstood that part then :)

I still think it is an impossibly small space to live in, when it needn't be.

Do they have Yurts over there? Here they are good alternative dwellings that can be erected pretty easily... Best part is the design of them means they can be added too as your needs expand also.

Ahhh ok, sorry I misunderstood that part then :)

I still think it is an impossibly small space to live in, when it needn't be.

Do they have Yurts over there? Here they are good alternative dwellings that can be erected pretty easily... Best part is the design of them means they can be added too as your needs expand also.

I have looked at Yurts and they are appealing. I haven't looked at the legal standing of Yurts yet. The problem is the building codes and zoning laws in the US. It is forcing me to bend over backwards to find solutions.

Well we have some very strict planning laws here and Yurts are OK :) might be worth checking out anyway.

Hi Jake Bunce

Sorry dude I don't give a stuff about the environemnt and I won't be reducing my consumption of anything.

There is no way I am going to live in a shoe box, I like my big screen TVs, A/C, flushing toilet, walk in refrigerater, decent lighting, three big cars one of which bearly does 10mpg and two (or more) long haul vacations a year.

The good thing is the more resources the sandal wearing, tree hugging, greenies save the more there will be for me.

Regards

Dereck

Top Bottom