1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Timeout when using Spam Cleaner

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Vilandra, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

I get the following error when I try to use the spam cleaner:

Looks like some others might be experiencing the same problem that suggest it's the IP check:

Right now I'm running RC1.

Is there anything that can be done?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Maybe try adding this line to the library/config.php file to increase the PHP timeout:

ini_set('max_execution_time', 500);
    (that's 500 seconds)
    Vilandra likes this.
  3. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

You're not going to be able to change that execution time on most shared hosts, even with a custom php.ini or ini_set. I think you'll find most of the big hosts cap that at 30, and for good reason when hundreds (or thousands) of sites run on one server.

I think the question is really why is that function taking more than 30 seconds to execute?

I just tried it (IP check only) on a shared HostGator account (where max_execution_time = 30) and it times out as well.
  4. twollert

twollert Active Member

5. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

+1 and we are on a vps with 1GB ram
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I believe this should be fixed now. I have sped up the IP lookup significantly. MySQL has some absolutely ridiculous sub-query performance issues, so ultimately it's actually a lot faster to rewrite it as 2 separate queries.
    Dean, mjp and Andy.N like this.