MG 1.1 Thumbnails scale but not crop?

island

Is there a way to have the thumbnails on the gallery homepage not crop the image? (i.e. if the proportion of the image is different than the thumbnail proportion, the default appears to only show the middle square part of the image by default, whereas on my site I'd rather scale the image to fit within the thumbnail dimension so the full image is thumbnailed. Is this possible?

I don't have XFMG installed yet - just playing with the xenforo.com demo to see if I can convert from photopost pro to xenforo media gallery in the near future.

Ok, thanks. I was wondering if there was existing content to see. It isn't actually possible in XFMG to maintain the aspect ratio, which would avoid cropping, but certain types of media being uploaded would be less affected by cropping if, for example, they were commonly of a certain aspect ratio. e.g. some photography forums might prefer to have a thumbnail aspect ratio which matches a typical landscape photo, in which case the thumbnail (in most cases, at least) would avoid cropping.

The way to do that would be to just set non-square dimensions in the options. The default is 300 x 300 but it can be changed to anything, e.g. 300 x 200 might be roughly appropriate for a photography gallery.

On my site, of 20,000 images, I believe around 70% are landscape format (some 4:3, many 3:2, some longer and shorter ) and 30% are portrait format.

Since most are in landscape format, adjusting to 300x200 for example would work better for most images to keep the sides from being cut off as many have details on the left and right that are important, but then images in portrait format will end up with heads cut off.

I can see the advantage to many sites of the current to create a graphically superior thumbnail grid, but for sites that have mixed format images portrait and landscape where the images themselves are more important to maintain than the page graphic quality, it sure would be nice to have a crop/fit switch option.

(I'll have to try the modification above as I don't think I can live with cropping people's images or I'd end up with a lot of complaints.)

Indeed. I appreciate it's not a catch all. There's not an immediate plan to support thumbs which automatically maintain aspect ratio but it's worth a suggestion, at least.

Thanks very much for considering an option for a future version.

It looks like the tutorial provides a manual solution in the short-term for me, although I'm a bit apprehensive about making things too difficult for upgrades in the long-term scheme of things if I end up with many manual edits to XFMG templates and php files.

If I go that route, I suppose there probably won't be too many XFMG 1.x updates now until 2.x so maybe it wouldn't be too bad to manage the manual edits for now for my site. In the long term it would make upgrading difficult though so I really hope there might be some future options (please... please... :))

Is there an easy way to do this with 2.x now?

Here is what I mean when users upload photos which are both landscape and portrait format to the media gallery:

I would really like it if there were an easy option to scale images down to thumbnails without cropping.

example of thumbnails when media gallery contains mixed portrait and landscape format photos.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom