Not planned Threads with new posts - extra info

Razasharp

It's great having threads with new posts highlighted... but what if we went further? And showed how many new posts or new attached files since last visit too? Or even how many new participants?

I think this would be awesome, and fits in very well with the XF ethos and flair, of going beyond just the basics...

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
@Chris D has an add-on that shows how many new posts there are: Unread Post Count.

Hi Amaury, sorry I just edited my title (you're too quick!) I mean when browsing the forum list, or latest posts lists - so threads marked as having new posts also include what is new in the thread... number of new replies, number of new attached files, number of new participants etc..

Hi Amaury, sorry I just edited my title (you're too quick!) I mean when browsing the forum list, or latest posts lists - so threads marked as having new posts also include what is new in the thread... number of new replies, number of new attached files, number of new participants etc..

Doesn't the "New" indicator already do that? However, do you mean something like this?

New.webp

While the suggestion isn't bad, the process to do this would potentially be quite brutal in terms of queries. Ask @Chris D about the issues he had (has?) with some queries in that add-on.

There isn't much that can be done to optimize it because the data varies for each user and changes constantly (every read thread and every post).

While the suggestion isn't bad, the process to do this would potentially be quite brutal in terms of queries. Ask @Chris D about the issues he had (has?) with some queries in that add-on.

There isn't much that can be done to optimize it because the data varies for each user and changes constantly (every read thread and every post).

I'm still not even quite sure was Razasharp was suggesting. :x

Razasharp, even though this has been marked "No Thanks," can you provide a mockup of what you meant?

Yeah I did wonder about the queries - tho I wonder if using something like Redis might help..

I'm still not even quite sure was Razasharp was suggesting. :x

Razasharp, even though this has been marked "No Thanks," can you provide a mockup of what you meant?

Take a look at this page: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-suggestions.18 and where you have thread titles in bold (indicating the thread contains new posts) there would be additional info showing what's new since your last visit (number of posts, number of new participants etc, number of new attachments) etc.

It's certainly not great on massive sites but for the most part it is working quite well thanks to the index you recommended.

I'll be adding an optional caching mechanism eventually. I do this with XMG for the unviewed item count on the nav tab and it works well.

Top Bottom