XF 1.2 Threads with lots of YouTube embeds take too long to load

jauburn

Threads with lots of YouTube embeds take too long to load.

Anything you can do about this? I noticed that with the AME plugin on the other forum software that doesn't deserve to be mentioned, threads load a lot faster.

Reactions: DRE
Require your members to put them in spoiler tags and put ones already posted in spoiler tags. Then they'll only load when the spoiler tags are opened.

What specifically is incorrect? That they'll only load when the spoilers are opened? If so, I've tested this myself and they indeed only load when the spoilers are opened.

I agree that the comment was vague.

Regardless, though, with probably thousands of youtube vids embedded, it's hardly possible for me to require users to use spoiler tags. What the heck is a spoiler tag, anyway? Yes, I know it's something in 1.3, but I'm not on 1.3 yet.

Threads with lots of YouTube embeds take too long to load.

Anything you can do about this? I noticed that with the AME plugin on the other forum software that doesn't deserve to be mentioned, threads load a lot faster.

You can try to wrap them inside the spoilerbb Bb Code of this addon. They should be loaded only once the spoiler is opened.

I agree that the comment was vague.

Regardless, though, with probably thousands of youtube vids embedded, it's hardly possible for me to require users to use spoiler tags. What the heck is a spoiler tag, anyway? Yes, I know it's something in 1.3, but I'm not on 1.3 yet.

Where are your users posting YouTube embeds? Are they threads specifically to post what you're watching or listening to? If so, you could always start new ones, closing the old ones, and require spoilers.

Also, this is a spoiler:
Hi.

Once the embed is in the HTML it loads. Regardless of if it is hidden or not, the request will still be made (causing a slow down).

Huh. Like I said, though, I've tested this. If I have ten embeds in a thread, my browser will lock up -- how bad it is varies on the number of embeds. However, if they're all in spoilers, it doesn't lock up.

Huh. Like I said, though, I've tested this. If I have ten embeds in a thread, my browser will lock up -- how bad it is varies on the number of embeds. However, if they're all in spoilers, it doesn't lock up.

Well, the original thrust of this thread was that in xenforo, for some reason, threads with lots of youtube embeds get bogged down beyond reason, while in vb with AME the load just fine.

Thanks cclaerhout. Gonna try it. I mean... kinda don't matter now since I can't embed youtube videos at the moment but it will later.

We'll soon publish an add-on providing an asynchronous load of the YouTube player.

We test it currently at our board and it loads Youtube embeds (which looks completely like regular) as quick as a simple picture. Only if someone clicks on it the whole player will be loaded instantly and start to play.

We just need a few days to test it with XF 1.3 because the new picture cache may rise problems.

We'll soon publish an add-on providing an asynchronous load of the YouTube player.

We test it currently at our board and it loads Youtube embeds (which looks completely like regular) as quick as a simple picture. Only if someone clicks on it the whole player will be loaded instantly and start to play.

We just need a few days to test it with XF 1.3 because the new picture cache may rise problems.

sounds great

Top Bottom