1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Threads with lots of YouTube embeds take too long to load

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by jauburn, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

Threads with lots of YouTube embeds take too long to load.

Anything you can do about this? I noticed that with the AME plugin on the other forum software that doesn't deserve to be mentioned, threads load a lot faster.

DRE likes this.
  2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Require your members to put them in spoiler tags and put ones already posted in spoiler tags. Then they'll only load when the spoiler tags are opened.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This is incorrect.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

What specifically is incorrect? That they'll only load when the spoilers are opened? If so, I've tested this myself and they indeed only load when the spoilers are opened.

5. jauburn

I agree that the comment was vague.

Regardless, though, with probably thousands of youtube vids embedded, it's hardly possible for me to require users to use spoiler tags. What the heck is a spoiler tag, anyway? Yes, I know it's something in 1.3, but I'm not on 1.3 yet.

6. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

You can try to wrap them inside the spoilerbb Bb Code of this addon. They should be loaded only once the spoiler is opened.

7. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Where are your users posting YouTube embeds? Are they threads specifically to post what you're watching or listening to? If so, you could always start new ones, closing the old ones, and require spoilers.

Also, this is a spoiler:
    Hi.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Once the embed is in the HTML it loads. Regardless of if it is hidden or not, the request will still be made (causing a slow down).

9. jauburn

10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Huh. Like I said, though, I've tested this. If I have ten embeds in a thread, my browser will lock up -- how bad it is varies on the number of embeds. However, if they're all in spoilers, it doesn't lock up.

11. jauburn

Well, the original thrust of this thread was that in xenforo, for some reason, threads with lots of youtube embeds get bogged down beyond reason, while in vb with AME the load just fine.

12. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Thanks cclaerhout. Gonna try it. I mean... kinda don't matter now since I can't embed youtube videos at the moment but it will later.

14. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

We'll soon publish an add-on providing an asynchronous load of the YouTube player.

We test it currently at our board and it loads Youtube embeds (which looks completely like regular) as quick as a simple picture. Only if someone clicks on it the whole player will be loaded instantly and start to play.

We just need a few days to test it with XF 1.3 because the new picture cache may rise problems.

cclaerhout likes this.
  15. jauburn

sounds great

16. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

RoldanLT and jauburn like this.