Lack of interest Thread Tools options

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Morgain

Just wanted to correct the misunderstanding which arose - apparently my suggestion to have a "Suspend thread" option in thread tools was interpreted as merely a discussion on forum management. It wasn't that.
I apologise if what I meant was not clear. I realise I should have mentioned Thread Tools.

When I look into Thread Tools I see things like Move, Edit, Close. Also Moderate.
There is no option to Suspend or Pause, allowing for a cooling off period if a thread has gone heated or broken rules.

A full Close is so very damaging to community trust. It makes mods look like bullies - when of course they are not. But many innocent users are affected as well as the few hooligans who are the problem.

We spend enormous endless efforts in making our users feel welcome, and encouraging active participation. We persuade, reward, have whole hierarchies of labels and trophies, tweak our design, coax and pull, add all kinds of sweeties as inducements to STAY AND POST ... then suddenly we treat everyone on a thread with a blunt hammer as if they are all alike offenders.
I would like to examine the idea of having an extra option on thread management.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
A full Close is so very damaging to community trust. It makes mods look like bullies - when of course they are not. But many innocent users are affected as well as the few hooligans who are the problem.
There's nothing stopping an admin or a mod closing it with a post saying that it's a temporary "pause" or Suspension - I think yet another option which basically does the same thing as a close is overkill really :)

We suspend threads by either closing and adding a moderator post to explain why, or moving them to the mods forum for discussion/correction before moving them back.

You'd still need to inform your members if a thread was suspended, so yes, I concur with the others that this serves the same purpose as closing.

How your community reacts to that is not something that the software can resolve; you'll be asked for reasoning whether you close or suspend.

Just wanted to correct the misunderstanding which arose - apparently my suggestion to have a "Suspend thread" option in thread tools was interpreted as merely a discussion on forum management. It wasn't that.
I apologise if what I meant was not clear. I realise I should have mentioned Thread Tools.

When I look into Thread Tools I see things like Move, Edit, Close. Also Moderate.
There is no option to Suspend or Pause, allowing for a cooling off period if a thread has gone heated or broken rules.

We spend enormous endless efforts in making our users feel welcome, and encouraging active participation. We persuade, reward, have whole hierarchies of labels and trophies, tweak our design, coax and pull, add all kinds of sweeties as inducements to STAY AND POST ... then suddenly we treat everyone on a thread with a blunt hammer as if they are all alike offenders.
I would like to examine the idea of having an extra option on thread management.

great idea (y)

"Cool Off Phase" or "Time Out" for a certain number of "days".....

I do not need it for my own Forum is it is dead anyway... but this might make sense for xenforo.com here :D

Give the moderators time to "cool off" instead of deleting posts ..... ha ha ;)

:coffee:

Last edited:
Top Bottom