Resource icon

Thread Ratings 1.2.1.7

No permission to download

JulianD

JulianD submitted a new resource:

Thread Ratings - Allows your users to rate threads

This addon allows your users to rate threads. The functionality is very similar to the system implemented in the Resource Manager for rating resources. In fact, the rating front end framework built into XenForo is completely reused.

Features

There are three options that you can switch in order to customize the addon:

View attachment 55314

You can choose to hide or show greyed out stars when displaying ratings in the thread list view:

View attachment 55318...

Read more about this resource...

Looks great !

upload_2013-8-27_16-41-30-png.55318

The only problem with being able to rate threads in the thread listing is people don't need to read the thread to vote ...
Of course, knowing your name and rating will be in the rating popup should discourage rating abuse.

Should there be some maximum number of thread ratings per unit of time (spam prevention) ?

Last edited:
Cool.

Been waiting for someone to come up with this. @JulianD this was a welcome surprise to find released today indeed.

@Alien has come up with a good idea.

But I'd extend it further and include an optional setting so only people who have participated in X thread can actually rate it. This would help prevent non-participating members from going on a mass rating spree on things they took no part in. And of course encourage people to participate.

Very nice work done with this.

Would it be possible to only have this active in a particular forum?
Cool.

Been waiting for someone to come up with this. @JulianD this was a welcome surprise to find released today indeed.

@Alien has come up with a good idea.

But I'd extend it further and include an optional setting so only people who have participated in X thread can actually rate it. This would help prevent non-participating members from going on a mass rating spree on things they took no part in. And of course encourage people to participate.

Great suggestions. I will definitively include them in a future release :) Thank you.

Looks great !

upload_2013-8-27_16-41-30-png.55318

The only problem with being able to rate threads in the thread listing is people don't need to read the thread to vote ...
Of course, knowing your name and rating will be in the rating popup should discourage rating abuse.

Should there be some maximum number of thread ratings per unit of time (spam prevention) ?
People can't rate threads from the thread list view. They have to go inside the thread to do so. The stars in the thread list view are just for displaying purposes.

Conflict with EWRmedio maybe?
I got this error now:

Error Info
ErrorException: Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$params - library/ThreadRating/ControllerPublic/Thread.php:9
Generated By: Unknown Account, 6 minutes ago

Stack Trace
#0 /home/site/public_html/library/ThreadRating/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(9): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined prope...', '/home/site/...', 9, Array)
#1 /home/site/public_html/library/EWRmedio/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(7): ThreadRating_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
#2 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(337): EWRmedio_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
#3 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 /home/site/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}

Request State
array(3) { ["url"] => string(75) "http://www.site.net/threads/new-settings-for-all-types-uc-handler.63645/" ["_GET"] => array(0) { } ["_POST"] => array(0) { } }

Last edited:
Conflict with EWRmedio maybe?
I got this error now:

Error Info
ErrorException: Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$params - library/ThreadRating/ControllerPublic/Thread.php:9
Generated By: Unknown Account, 6 minutes ago

Stack Trace
#0 /home/site/public_html/library/ThreadRating/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(9): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined prope...', '/home/site/...', 9, Array)
#1 /home/site/public_html/library/EWRmedio/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(7): ThreadRating_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
#2 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(337): EWRmedio_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
#3 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 /home/site/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}

Request State
array(3) { ["url"] => string(75) "http://www.site.net/threads/new-settings-for-all-types-uc-handler.63645/" ["_GET"] => array(0) { } ["_POST"] => array(0) { } }
I have reproduced the problem. A fix is on its way :) Thank you for your feedback.

I have installed addon in XF 1.2 and the greyed out stars appear but aren't clickable - where do users set their rating for the thread?

@RoldanLT suggested that I should include rich snippets microdata into the addon, to allow Google display the thread ratings in search results. It is technically possible but after further investigation, the review Microdata is only applicable to service and products, not discussions: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/146645

I guess it's not going to happen since it can negatively affect your rankings. If there's any other rich snippet that could be used to display the thread's rating, let me know.

Top Bottom