1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thread Ratings

Allows your users to rate threads

1. JulianD

JulianD Well-Known Member

JulianD submitted a new resource:

Thread Ratings - Allows your users to rate threads

Read more about this resource...
    ehfz, erich37, mokujin and 4 others like this.
  2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Thanks JulianD and Teflon!
  3. abbychase

abbychase Active Member

Nice work, Could be have a forum - forum option? Some forums have it, others don't.

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Looks great !

The only problem with being able to rate threads in the thread listing is people don't need to read the thread to vote ...
    Of course, knowing your name and rating will be in the rating popup should discourage rating abuse.

Should there be some maximum number of thread ratings per unit of time (spam prevention) ?
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  5. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Very nice work done with this.

Would it be possible to only have this active in a particular forum?
    FredC, resonansER and samo like this.
  6. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Been waiting for someone to come up with this. @JulianD this was a welcome surprise to find released today indeed.

@Alien has come up with a good idea.

But I'd extend it further and include an optional setting so only people who have participated in X thread can actually rate it. This would help prevent non-participating members from going on a mass rating spree on things they took no part in. And of course encourage people to participate.
    IPF, karll, Veer and 1 other person like this.
  7. JulianD

Great suggestions. I will definitively include them in a future release :) Thank you.
    maszd, samo, Veer and 3 others like this.
  8. JulianD

People can't rate threads from the thread list view. They have to go inside the thread to do so. The stars in the thread list view are just for displaying purposes.
    IPF, ForestForTrees and Veer like this.
  9. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

+1 That would make this plugin very practical for my application..
    abbychase likes this.
  10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Please consider a vbulletin import function.
  11. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Should be core feature (y)
    erich37 and Adam Howard like this.
  12. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Conflict with EWRmedio maybe?
    I got this error now:

Error Info
    ErrorException: Undefined property: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect::$params - library/ThreadRating/ControllerPublic/Thread.php:9
    Generated By: Unknown Account, 6 minutes ago

Stack Trace
    #0 /home/site/public_html/library/ThreadRating/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(9): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined prope...', '/home/site/...', 9, Array)
    #1 /home/site/public_html/library/EWRmedio/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(7): ThreadRating_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
    #2 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(337): EWRmedio_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
    #3 /home/site/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
    #4 /home/site/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #5 {main}

Request State
    array(3) { ["url"] => string(75) "http://www.site.net/threads/new-settings-for-all-types-uc-handler.63645/" ["_GET"] => array(0) { } ["_POST"] => array(0) { } }
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  13. JulianD

I have reproduced the problem. A fix is on its way :) Thank you for your feedback.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  14. JulianD

15. cbertozz

cbertozz Member

I have installed addon in XF 1.2 and the greyed out stars appear but aren't clickable - where do users set their rating for the thread?
  16. JulianD

The stars are only clickable within threads. Also, make sure you are rating a thread you did not start. The addon doesn't let authors to rate their own threads.
    Adam Howard and MasterPiece like this.
  17. cbertozz

cbertozz Member

Yep checked all that. Will PC you some login details so you can see.
  18. JulianD

@RoldanLT suggested that I should include rich snippets microdata into the addon, to allow Google display the thread ratings in search results. It is technically possible but after further investigation, the review Microdata is only applicable to service and products, not discussions: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/146645

I guess it's not going to happen since it can negatively affect your rankings. If there's any other rich snippet that could be used to display the thread's rating, let me know.
  19. JulianD

There's an incompatibility with the Live Threads addon. I will fix it tomorrow. Thank you for reporting it!
    Adam Howard likes this.
  20. oman

oman Well-Known Member

Thank you for this add on Julian. :)