Lack of interest Thread Rating

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hmm I fail to see how the rating of a thread would be of any benefit to anything. A thread is likely to consist of good posts, bad posts and normal posts. How can you quantify a rating on an entire thread? A thread/topic on its own is no value. It's the posts within it that add the value. So for that reason, the individual like ratings for each post are a much better indicator.

I always saw the thread rating system as bloat myself, I am sure there are some ways it could be useful, but I honestly think such a feature would be better as an add on.

Hmm I fail to see how the rating of a thread would be of any benefit to anything. A thread is likely to consist of good posts, bad posts and normal posts. How can you quantify a rating on an entire thread? A thread/topic on its own is no value. It's the posts within it that add the value. So for that reason, the individual like ratings for each post are a much better indicator.
I think thumb up/down voting per post within a thread is more useful. Then if you wanted to take that and add those votes up that *might* be more representative of the entire post.

Xenforo posts only have likes. A positive rating. No negatives.

Like many boards we have had thread ratings for years. Well over a decade. The purpose here is that the reader can see what the best threads are. Right from the thread listing. When threads are rated with 1 star, then this is a clear indication for moderators that the thread likely needs deletion or moderation.

Another nice feature is that ratings get listed in Google (rich snippets) This makes it more attractive for people to click on a link for a highly rated thread.

It also answers the question: what are the best threads of a subforum, or even of the whole site.

This in turn allows us to filter on quality. For example don't show low rated threads in widgets, similar threads, give bad threads low weight in search, email members the latest quality threads, remove bad threads from search engine site maps, etc.

Last edited:

I used thread ratings with vB 3.8 to develop a widget (vBAdvanced module) displaying the "best threads" on the forum. I used a customized thread search that sorted threads based upon the average rating and the number of votes. Most threads in the list had just one or two votes. Several really good threads had 5 or more votes. I was able to influence where threads appeared in the list because the vote totals were low (and my vote would strongly influence the average). This was a really good feature for one of my forum sites and I'd love to have it available again as I migrate that site over to XF.

Post likes/ratings are great and allow members to show appreciation for a variety of reasons, but a thread rating can allow a community (or moderating group) to highlight particular threads where good conversations or information has been covered.

Top Bottom