Thread prefix - Usable by user groups - not honored

AndyB

Affected version
The 'Usable by user groups' is not working. I have three thread prefixes all set like this:

1539059804506.webp

If I log in as a Registered user the following two edit options are not honored:

1539059955694.webp

and

1539059919017.webp

Oddly I am unable to reproduce this on a vanilla install. Have you tried on a unmodified default style with all addons disabled?

We also use this system in this specific forum for the fix prefixes, so presumably you don't have access to them that way.

Note that if a thread already has a prefix (your examples are edits), that prefix will always be "usable" to prevent it from unexpectedly being changed.

Hi Mike,

Ideally if the Registered user has no "usable" permissions in the applicable forum they would not get the drop down and be able to over-ride the prefix as they can now. At this time they can change the prefix to (No prefix) even though they don't have usable permissions to manage in the applicable forum.

1539084452977.webp

1539084803736.webp

The option to select no prefix is always shown (though you can potentially apply forum-level limits on this).

So based on what you're saying, this is simply as designed: we always allow the currently in-use prefix to continue to be used.

As an example I just edited my first post and removed the "As designed" prefix you just added.

1539086018611.webp

Last edited:
While I take the point, equally that's not really related to the bug report. There is not concept of limiting the ability to edit a prefix entirely; the prefix is roughly considered to be part of the title, so the permissions piggyback on that, plus an additional level to disable specific options.

There are potentially use cases where a user changing the prefix from one they can't use is actually totally reasonable and expected. Taking your example in a different light, a staff member applying "pending user reply" would be reasonable (with the user being able to set that), but it would also be reasonable for a user to inherently remove that label. So what you're after is really something that fits more of a suggestion as it doesn't apply in all cases.

In the example in your last post, it should be resolvable by requiring selection of a prefix (which I have just enabled for the resolved bug forums here).

In the example in your last post, it should be resolvable by requiring selection of a prefix (which I have just enabled for the resolved bug forums here).

Sorry I just edited my first post again to test this and I was once again able to remove the prefix.

Top Bottom