Lack of interest [Developer Tool] "Usable by Unregistered group" toggle for permissions

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

DragonByte Tech

Further from this thread: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/guest-cant-like-post.146134/

This is actually a very common confusion for add-on developers as well. I have lost count of how many times we've received questions about "I set this feature enabled for guests but they can't do it" when it's designed not to work with guests.

If it was possible for us as developers to define a permission as not being available for guests, that would alleviate the problem.

The way I see it off the top of my head, there's two options for how this could be implemented;
1. Don't display the permission, and have a hidden form element that sets the permission value to unset
2. Display the permission, force selection to unset and disable the element (hidden value would still be needed). Optional extra: A mouseover tooltip that says "This permission is not available for this user group." or something to that effect.

I don't have a preference nor do I have any insight into what I think the best option would be.

Regardless of which option was used, doing it either of those ways has the added benefit of requiring no extra development outside of the AdminCP, since the actual saved permission value would be the same as if the administrator (correctly) set the permission to "No" in the UI.

This could be a great boon to addon developers as well as to the XenForo core, by reducing support tickets for all :)

Fillip

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Top Bottom