Fixed Thread post numbers are no longer hyperlinks

Mouth

Affected version
The thread post number appearing in the top right of a post are no longer hyperlinks with post id. In XF2.0 both the post date/time and the thread post number were hyperlinks with post id, but in XF2.1 only the post date/time is.

The link has moved over to the per-post sharing button. When you hover over it there's the new "Share this post" content tooltip that appears. But if you keep your cursor on the sharing button, you can still right click to copy link, open it in new tab, etc the same as XF 2.0 :). In saying that, the sharing button seems to be missing in your screenshot :unsure:...

It would be handy to have the post link added back to the post number to keep it consistent with XF1.

That's a poor argument, by that then everything that has changed in 2.0 should be changed back to keep it consistent with XF1. Honestly, the new display is more consistent with most other SM platforms.

As per my OP screenshot, I don't have that icon/function displayed.
That is odd - do you have any browser extensions that might be configured to block web functionality related to sharing?

At the moment, this is currently as designed but the link is still available via the share icon which you can't see for some reason.

Last edited:
do you have any browser extensions that might be configured to block web functionality related to sharing?
That was it. Adblock Plus was blocking it, I set an exception for xenforo.com and the icon and functionality is there now. It's a well used browser add-on, perhaps something worth looking into to see if there's some better treatment for the particular code that Adblock Plus is reacting to. It's the only element on the page/site that is tripping it.

Last edited:
That's strange, what version of Adblock Plus are you running @Mouth?

I'm running Firefox with Adblock Plus 3.4 and the per-post share icons are displaying fine for me.

Same here.... v3.4 running on Chrome 70 but running on Windows. I had no idea that "share" icon even existed because I don't see it on any of my Win machines.

If you guys remove the exception for XF.com and look for an option to prevent ABP from disabling "social media buttons" does that also fix it?

Chris, yes, that is what's doing it. With the flag turned on Chrome's dev tools show that it's getting triggered from the "share" & "social" element names, with the flag turned off it's not getting hit.

...look for an option to prevent ABP from disabling "social media buttons" does that also fix it?

Nice find - I didn't have this ABP setting enabled, so the sharing controls work just fine for me. But as a test I turned social media blocking on and then the per-post sharing controls disappear (on reload). In Firefox at least this is what you're looking for:

Do you see the share icons at the bottom of this thread with it enabled?

Seems very overzealous to be blocking that. The main concern is performance and privacy but that doesn’t apply to our current approach.

I just enabled a couple of anti-social media lists in uBlock, and the Fanboy’s Social Blocking List is blocking the fa-share classes. Might be considered overzealous, might not be, depending on your point of view really.

Categorically it's definitely over-zealous. The functionality is designed to protect you from those horrendous sharing provider native buttons which track shares, set all sorts of horrible cookies, take ages to load etc.

If it is the classname, though, we can almost certainly workaround that.

Do you see the share icons at the bottom of this thread with it enabled?

Seems very overzealous to be blocking that. The main concern is performance and privacy but that doesn’t apply to our current approach.
No, they don't show either. Here's a shot of what's getting blocked on my Win machine when visiting this thread running v3.4 of ABP with the Social block flag turned on.

Capture.webp

Top Bottom