1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Thread does not update if quick reply post would start a new page in thread

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by OperaManiac, Mar 21, 2015.

1. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

This is a strange bug that is affecting my forum over the last couple of days. I have not changed anything on the forum so does not appear to be connected to any plugin or theme. Though I have tried it after disabling all add-ons and that has not helped.

Supposedly the thread already has 10 (or multiples of 10) posts. I use quick reply to make a new post in the thread that would basically add a new page to the thread. The editor gives up after a few seconds. Thread is not updated. But the post is indeed made in the background. If the user tries to post again, it results in double post.

I am on Dreamhost and I have a feeling that their MySQL server assigned to me is overloaded. Can this be the reason? Any suggestions would be helpful.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I wouldn't expect server issues if it's specific to when a new page would be created. My guess is something involving add-ons or template modifications -- inserting unexpected HTML could potentially trigger an issue like this.
  3. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

Turns out, xf does not appear to like async google adsense code in the ad_message_body template. New post (added using quick reply) fails to appear even on the same page if there is an async ad code placed in the ad_message_body! Tried it on default template and was able to replicate the issue. My ad block had a if statement in place to only load the code in the first post of the thread. Thus I was only noticing the issue when a new page was added to the thread.

Switching to old version of the adsense code worked for me. Thanks!

Example Google AdSense code that uses async: https://pastebin.com/9GFSdxZy
    maxicep likes this.
  4. maxicep

maxicep Active Member

5. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

6. maxicep

maxicep Active Member

If xenforo can't fix it then they must add an ad placement feature. :confused: