This is why we no longer use Paypal

PayPal. For a UK business, if one transaction is, say 10.00 GBP.
Your actual income comes down to 9.46 GBP.

(3.4% + 0.20 GBP)

PayPal's "fee" in this case amounts to: 0.54 GBP.

I will be offering 2CO, Google Checkout, and Moneybookers in addition to Paypal on my site this week. Just waiting on the final setup from Moneybookers. I find they all have similar fee's based on sales goals, however only Paypal allows you instant access to your funds via a debit card (which for those with a Paypal Business account, it actually earns 1% per transaction).

Now, do the math on business that receive tens of thousands of dollars per month. After all the fee and the nuisance of payment holding, it is easy to see for some business it makes little sense to use paypal.
If you have an account upgrade and offer instant access to a download, services, private section, etc and Paypal decide that your members are too risky and they want to hold the money, there is nothing you can do about it. It's not the money involved, it's the level of services that you and your members suffer because of a third party services.

I know the majority of people here aren't doing anywhere near this revenue level to see the difference.
With Google Checkout, that wouldn't be problem.

And have a big business with Paypal isn't the only issue. If you do to little business with paypal and suddenly have a wave of success (nothing large, just bigger than you normally do) .... You end up having the same problems.

With Google Checkout this isn't the case.

I will be offering 2CO, Google Checkout, and Moneybookers in addition to Paypal on my site this week. Just waiting on the final setup from Moneybookers. I find they all have similar fee's based on sales goals, however only Paypal allows you instant access to your funds via a debit card (which for those with a Paypal Business account, it actually earns 1% per transaction).
I love 2CO (also known as 2 Check Out). I have an old account with them... By old, I mean my account number is more lower toward the single or double digits. Been with them for a very long time.

Fees are a little higher though. But they do have outstanding customer support.

Much prefer Google Checkout. I also use Payza.com which has all the features of Paypal, including the debit card options.

Still prefer Google Checkout, because they automatically deposit the funds into your bank account.

Happily use all 3 though :)

Seems to be the case! I'd love to replace Paypal, but whatever I switch to would absolutely have to have a great subscription / recurring billing system. I wouldn't survive without one. That and the all important gateway support for XF of course :p

Anyone know if the whole 'no waiting / no holds' stuff on Google Checkout also applies to eChecks? eChecks via Paypal almost always take 10 days to clear. Isn't this due to the bank and not paypal? If so not sure how google would get around this.
Google Checkout processes eChecks A LOT faster than Paypal. They directly withdraw on the account check issued and so you normally get it the same day (I had to wait 2 days once).

Google Checkout does indeed offer subscriptions payment options ;)

They also offer a coupon system, so you can run sales and promotions

checkout.google.com/sell

I wish there was a viable alternative to PayPal.

Google Checkout - works only with US and UK businesses, so I can't use it.

2Checkout - works only in USD, but I'm mostly using EURO. A while ago they have added possibility of switching to EURO, but I found out the hard way (by losing quite a lot of money) that its ********. When customer pays, 2co converts money to USD, then when money is sent to my bank it is converted back to EURO, but they apply different conversion rates to those internal transactions that are different by about 10%, so in addition to 2co fees I lose additional 10% to currency shenanigans.

All of this discussion points to the same thing: we need wider support for payment gateway in XF.
YES (y)

I would also like to see some of the developers offer any alternative to paypal. Not saying they have to stop using it, by all means, if that is what they like, keep using it. But at least 1 alternative (anything) would be nice.

I would suggest Google Checkout because it is just as easy to use as Paypal, has a wider range of supported integration options, and is accepted in more places in the world than paypal.

But generally speaking... Anything else would be better than only paypal.

I wish there was a viable alternative to PayPal.

Google Checkout - works only with US and UK businesses, so I can't use it.

2Checkout - works only in USD, but I'm mostly using EURO. A while ago they have added possibility of switching to EURO, but I found out the hard way (by losing quite a lot of money) that its bull****. When customer pays, 2co converts money to USD, then when money is sent to my bank it is converted back to EURO, but they apply different conversion rates to those internal transactions that are different by about 10%, so in addition to 2co fees I lose additional 10% to currency shenanigans.

Google Checkout does work outside of The USA and UK. It also accept payment from Russia, Indian, China, Japan, and the list goes on.... Hell I even got a payment from Pakistan of all places.

The Ukraine (as with you) is a problem for everyone.... Even paypal.

Seems to be the case! I'd love to replace Paypal, but whatever I switch to would absolutely have to have a great subscription / recurring billing system.

Would someone switch or offer different payment options and let customers choose. XenForo almost lost me as a customer when it took better part of week for Paypal to even accept a valid credit card payment for XenForo. Offering an alternative, I could have just switched to Checkout and paid. Or, for a business, open a merchant account and take direct credit card purchases. It would seem losing even a few sales would outweigh any additional costs of having multiple payment options. Kind of like allowing Facebook sign up for forums, make it easy for the customer.

Google Checkout does work outside of The USA and UK. It also accept payment from Russia, Indian, China, Japan, and the list goes on....

The Ukraine (as with you) is a problem for everyone.... Even paypal.
Yes, they do accept payments from many countries, but they accept sellers only from 2 countries. In contact information on signup form there are only 2 countries available for selection.

...Paypal allows you instant access to your funds via a debit card.
If you're in the U.S. They ripped the debit card right from under our feet in Canada, with the sole explanation of "we felt they weren't providing the best experience for those who used them". (can you spot the bullsh**?) My card expires in April 2013, so I can still use until then, but will not be able to renew it. That's just insane.

Yes, they do accept payments from many countries, but they accept sellers only from 2 countries. In contact information on signup form there are only 2 countries available for selection.
My guess is they've done an IP check on you and are giving you a standard reply
red red wiiiiiine.webp

I'm going to be one of those pro-Paypal people. :D I run quite a few thousand a year through Paypal and have been been using them for years. The only trouble I ever had is a couple years ago it took Paypal a few months to replace a lost debit card.

Transfers to my bank take 1 business day. If I put in a transfer on Monday afternoon the money will be there Wednesday morning. My PP account is backstopped by my checking account. I do most of my online transactions through my Paypal debit. If Paypal doesn't have enough to cover a transaction, they automatically transfer from my bank account the difference next business day with no fees. It's always worked flawlessly.

When I read they horror stories I always wonder why. The only time PP held money on me was an eBay transaction when I was new to eBay which wasn't a big deal.

My guess is they've done an IP check on you and are giving you a standard replyView attachment 32409
Weird. This is what I see:
Screen-Shot-2012-08-02-at-07.22.41-.webp

But if you can sell from Austria, there is something wrong with my form. I'll contact Google about it. Thanks.

edit: actually, that page is correct. After searching Google's documents I found this:

Seller Availability

Merchants with a U.S. or U.K. business address and bank account can sign up to use Google Checkout. U.S. merchants must also have either of the following:
  • A Social Security Number (optional) and valid credit card
  • A Federal Tax ID/Employer Identification Number (EIN)

I'm going to be one of those pro-Paypal people. :D I run quite a few thousand a year through Paypal and have been been using them for years. The only trouble I ever had is a couple years ago it took Paypal a few months to replace a lost debit card.

Transfers to my bank take 1 business day. If I put in a transfer on Monday afternoon the money will be there Wednesday morning. My PP account is backstopped by my checking account. I do most of my online transactions through my Paypal debit. If Paypal doesn't have enough to cover a transaction, they automatically transfer from my bank account the difference next business day with no fees. It's always worked flawlessly.

When I read they horror stories I always wonder why. The only time PP held money on me was an eBay transaction when I was new to eBay which wasn't a big deal.
I use to be just like you.... Seriously....

I was pro-paypal user, just like yourself. I had a verified business account with paypal for 5 years. I was even a premier eBay seller.

I processed thousands of dollars in sales on eBay monthly, sometimes even weekly, and all using PayPal.

Any time someone said how much people though Paypal sucked, I thought to myself they must have done something stupid or illegal. I could not ever believe PayPal would ever screw someone over. It just didn't add up to me.

After all, I had a PayPal account for over 5 years. Never had a single issue with a transaction via eBay, via e-mail, via their shopping cart on my website, or a problem using their PayPal Visa Card.

I had 1 person... Just 1 ... Have a fraud alert on their account, not mine. The only connection is they purchased something for 99 cents. They were an American buyer. As a result that sale was cancelled and my account was frozen.

I spent YEARS trying to get my account, which continued to collect interest, unfrozen. Finally had to sue them to get it.

Top Bottom