Thinking of the move from Vbulletin4+vbseo help please?

Hi guys, we are a old forum that has long been indexed in the search engines,
We are running vbulletin4+vbseo (which is dead now), So in the process of thinking of removing vbseo, we also determined that the move to xenforo might be the easiest way out.

How hard of a process will it be to make sure the old indexed urls are redirected once I convert to xenforo?

will the fact that I have vbseo isntalled make the conversion to xenforo difficult?

How about photo albums, and pictures and attachments? those should convert over well ok?

I am given confidence that avforums have made the move as well as many others, so very intrusted as I do not want to hurt our rankings and our alexa rankings,

thanks much for any guidance on this matter, as we feel we are stuck since vbseo is now dead, and upgrades for vbulletin wont work because vbseo is now dead and the process to remove vbseo seems like a huge task.

Wow, thanks for the inpu, Love the confidence that you AVforums, Digitalpoint as well as others in my niche has made the move,

Im running essenial stock vb4 since I never noved the platform to add addons except vbseo, So I am excited to start adding addons like I used to with vb3(which is still my favorite)

Where can I get in touch with individiual Jack Bunce? Link somewhere?

I was linked to this converter http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-big-board-importer-vbulletin-3-vbulletin-4.1981/ what do you think about this one?

any hellp willl be appreciated, thanks guys!

thanks for the hand to hand support guys, Im already feeling at home now, and with much bigger boards already having made the jump I am excited too. Hopefully I will not be overwhelmed with any of the addons needed and I hope any addons are easily compatible with subsequent core software upgrades?

Currently doing a massive backup of all my data and offstoring it as well, before I undertake this process, it sure will be interesting!

thanks for the referral to Jake Bunch, will definately hit him up...

If there is anything else, I'm all ears!

One piece of advice, don't rush to add as many addons as take your fancy. There is no guarantee that all the addons are optimised for use on larger sites. My advice would be to look at the ones essential to maintain your current functionality (although you may want to drop some less important ones), and launch only with those.
Keep things as simple as possible when you migrate.

One piece of advice, don't rush to add as many addons as take your fancy. There is no guarantee that all the addons are optimised for use on larger sites. My advice would be to look at the ones essential to maintain your current functionality (although you may want to drop some less important ones), and launch only with those.
Keep things as simple as possible when you migrate.

thanks for the advice, it seems I will be trying to keep things as much stock as possible at first, but it seems to be that everyone adds a bunch of addons to achieve 'essential' functionality. So I guess I'll know once I convert over on the test forums.

We moved our site from vb4 to xenforo. Our database is just over 2 gig and it took about 3 hours to import and finish.
We had a lot of custom groups for both our user base and our moderators that all needed to be completly reworked once we cut over. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it. We are very happy with xenforo.

Moving to Xenforo is simple and easy. You won't regret it. Just do your research and make sure you do test imports to get a feel for it. Probably the hardest thing you will encounter is getting a grasp on the fact that XenForo is not vBulletin and it uses usergroups in an entirely different way. So get a grasp on that before you do a live import so you can have everyone accessing what they are supposed to access.

Your post is interesting. Check out my post here!
I moved AVForums.com (vB3.8.2 plus vBSEO) over to Xenforo just over a week ago. 19 million posts.
I would strongly advise you to pay Jake Bunce to help you. He would use the fast importer, I expect.
He made the process a complete breeze for us.
The hardest part was ensuring we had the right addons to cover our essential existing vB mods. And that was as much fun as it was tricky.
We were down for only 9.5 hours and that was to ensure the new editorial section was working, plus we had to import the post table twice. If you have less than 19 million posts, I expect your forum would be down for much less than that amount of time.
If you need any advice, I'm happy to help.

Stuart how long did the post import portion of your conversion take? And why did you have to import post table twice?

Stuart how long did the post import portion of your conversion take? And why did you have to import post table twice?
Importing posts took about an hour. It was the largest table, of course, at 19ish million records.
At the last minute I asked Jake to apply a regex to fix some AME codes in posts, but I didn't give him enough time to test it and it didn't work. It messed up some posts, so we thought it best to reimport posts again without the regex.
My fault because I didn't think about doing regexes on the posts at the point of import rather than later on.
It meant that we had broken Youtube embeds for a while, but Jake applied regexes over several days after we went live and we're all good now.

Importing posts took about an hour. It was the largest table, of course, at 19ish million records.
At the last minute I asked Jake to apply a regex to fix some AME codes in posts, but I didn't give him enough time to test it and it didn't work. It messed up some posts, so we thought it best to reimport posts again without the regex.
My fault because I didn't think about doing regexes on the posts at the point of import rather than later on.
It meant that we had broken Youtube embeds for a while, but Jake applied regexes over several days after we went live and we're all good now.
What sort of server hardware did you do this import on?

Thanks for all the information here. We are facing the same step of migrating a big board (6 Million posts) from vB4.2 to xF.

We decided to do it slowly. We will set it up and play with it, until we feel, we can risk the switch.

Welcome to XenForo
:)

I already got a licence and use it for a tiny forum for testing purposes. But now we go for the big thing :o

I surely will need to ask more questions. But for the beginning:

I found a thread, where a very interesing idea is discussed, that a single forum-node could have multiple parent nodes: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...in-multiple-locations-in-the-node-tree.46828/

This really would be fantastic, because we have several sub-forums who could belong to several parents... and links don't do the job so well. Will that work?

:)

I already got a licence and use it for a tiny forum for testing purposes. But now we go for the big thing :eek:

I surely will need to ask more questions. But for the beginning:

I found a thread, where a very interesing idea is discussed, that a single forum-node could have multiple parent nodes: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...in-multiple-locations-in-the-node-tree.46828/

This really would be fantastic, because we have several sub-forums who could belong to several parents... and links don't do the job so well. Will that work?
That is in the suggestion forum and so it's not yet something that can be done, but if you think it's a good idea... Add your thoughts on the subject.

Top Bottom