Thinking About Teaching

Did it for nearly 10 years in the military. Couldn't pay me enough to do it in the public school system these days.

Teaching is an everyday thing, though. So you are teaching yourself all the time, but I know what you meant...it would be an interesting thing to do.

I almost became a Math teacher, but then I started having ideas about how to conduct my classroom. The teaching environment that I was in didn't value what I could contribute. They just wanted a warm body. So I dropped out.

If you want to teach then please be passionate about it. My peers in the credential program were very unimpressive. It was depressing to think that they were future teachers. By unimpressive I mean they were asking questions like, "do we need to know this for the test?" True products of a system that is coming full circle.

Taught a post graduate class(internet marketing) at university (whilst being an undergraduate student) for a couple of semesters. Very rewarding financially, and satisfying on a few different levels ;)

My wife's a full time teacher... however...

I corrupt the youth by editing reality tv programs... guess who gets paid more?

I teach various classes - but only quickies and one-off.
Teaching as a full time job can be very difficult as you spend a lot of your time doing things other than teaching. You are either made for it or you aren't.

I like teaching when the class actually wants to learn. Otherwise.....tough thing to do.

I'm not planning anything. Just thought about doing it when I was told by several people that their kids remember what I teach or tell them. I know that sounds random but when I think back to when I was a kid, I can only remember things some teachers told me and usually those teachers that I could remember, I respected cause they didn't talk down on me like I was dumb. That's how I talk to kids, with respect.

I'm not planning anything. Just thought about doing it when I was told by several people that their kids remember what I teach or tell them. I know that sounds random but when I think back to when I was a kid, I can only remember things some teachers told me and usually those teachers that I could remember, I respected cause they didn't talk down on me like I was dumb. That's how I talk to kids, with respect.
The bigger question is how you deal with administrators!

But it sounds like you have the "teaching gene" (yes, partially genetic). The question is whether you can find a place that appreciates that.

The bigger question is how you deal with administrators!

But it sounds like you have the "teaching gene" (yes, partially genetic). The question is whether you can find a place that appreciates that.
lol never heard of a teaching gene. the only stuff available I saw was for ESE.

I talked to someone about it and they said be prepared to be puked on.

That's why I'm only 'thinking' about it.

You'd be amazed how much stuff is genetic!

I went searching for some guys I played in a band with when I was 14. One of them went on to be the "live" guitarist in a big network night show (Merv Griffith). When I came upon his family history site that a relative had put up, it said "If you are coming here about someone with the name "X", you are probably looking for a musician, and it went on to detail every branch of the family and all the famous musicians for hundreds of years.

I read a book about the famous American writer (and critic) Mencken. His dad was a cigar maker, so he had no way of knowing that hundreds of years ago, some family had been writers. He traveled to Germany and found the writings of one of his ancestors from the 1600's. When he read them, they had the same cynical and sarcastic slant that he used in his prose! Amazing, right?

In my own family, neither of my parents were teachers. But I have an uncle who I never met - yet people always come up to me and say "I had Sandy as a teacher and he was the best I ever had - really inspired me"...and I am sure the same genes make me a teacher - whether through a web site, customer education in my former store, etc...or though classes I teach.

So, yes - a lot of stuff gets burned in after a couple of generations.

lol never heard of a teaching gene. the only stuff available I saw was for ESE.

I talked to someone about it and they said be prepared to be puked on.

That's why I'm only 'thinking' about it.

Sorry for so many posts!

I recently did a couple classes with disadvantaged (low economic, etc.) youth who were also taking the Hiset (sp?) - it's the modern GED. I made up the class myself - I just call places and volunteer..in this case, a branch of the community college in a local town which is very low income and high crime.

My talk was about how they should not take the internet for granted - and about how they can use it to their advantage (different ways to prosper, from activism to $$$) - and also to "give back" to others as opposed to being consumers of information.

They were very pumped because I started it out with telling them I was going to show them how to make a million dollars :). I followed that up later by asking how many wanted a car...and showing them how maybe Uber could help them get a better one! Or, if they wanted a nice house - how AirBnB might help them pay a higher mortgage payment.

One of them came up to me afterwards and said he already started a "review" youtube channel and wanted to further develop it.

That stuff excites me - when I can open up the possibilities to people.

Having grown weary of I.T. and all of this "Internet crap" :D , I've actually looked towards becoming an educator myself. My years of customer service and support (in industrial distribution, and partially in my current freelance work) have sort of burnt in my style of being able to break things down clearly to make them easier to understand, and the patience to know that not everybody learns the same way.

Thing is, I only want to teach at the community college level or higher. I've come across professors at the college I attend who have been an influence, and having been in classes for a couple of years now, I really started to "get it" when the better instructors confided their methods and their passion for the job (and the concept of "making a difference"). I also figure that anyone attending a college or university wants to be there to learn (except maybe the core classes :D ), more so than grades K-12 where so many just want to get good enough grades to pass.

You'd be amazed how much stuff is genetic!

I went searching for some guys I played in a band with when I was 14. One of them went on to be the "live" guitarist in a big network night show (Merv Griffith). When I came upon his family history site that a relative had put up, it said "If you are coming here about someone with the name "X", you are probably looking for a musician, and it went on to detail every branch of the family and all the famous musicians for hundreds of years.

I read a book about the famous American writer (and critic) Mencken. His dad was a cigar maker, so he had no way of knowing that hundreds of years ago, some family had been writers. He traveled to Germany and found the writings of one of his ancestors from the 1600's. When he read them, they had the same cynical and sarcastic slant that he used in his prose! Amazing, right?

In my own family, neither of my parents were teachers. But I have an uncle who I never met - yet people always come up to me and say "I had Sandy as a teacher and he was the best I ever had - really inspired me"...and I am sure the same genes make me a teacher - whether through a web site, customer education in my former store, etc...or though classes I teach.

So, yes - a lot of stuff gets burned in after a couple of generations.
That mencken story is pretty rad dude

Top Bottom