• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Themesinc.com - New Styles now available!

I have had this conversation with my contemporaries in this business (including Miko) and it's a double-edged sword. Most have no idea the time and labor involved to produce a good quality skin (never mind the amount of time and effort Miko put in developing his framework), support it and keep it upgraded. The profit margin is slim to none even selling at $45 a pop. It isn't worth doing stock skins if you are going to give them away for $15 - $30 each. Having said all that, I think Miko and Bob have under-priced these skins for what you are getting with them. I think they are probably worth twice that but they would never sell them at that price. I hope they do huge sales numbers! :)

I understand where you and others are coming from. I do. But to many people a $20 skin that looks good and works is more attractive than a $45 skin that looks good and works. For all we know the $20 skin may have had about the same amount of time and work put into it as the $45 skin.

http://www.xenique.com/

is one such example.

Just saying. I do understand where people are coming from. And I do understand what people are saying. But I just can't justify the price. Regardless of personal feelings.

I think you dont have seen the Videos about the framework. There are big differences between the two styles.
(colour change by the user himself, toggle sidebar to name some, node icons, user tabs etc.)
http://themesinc.com/community/forums/xenomorph-framework/

For me it is a easy calculation: I earn 45$ for one hour of work, and I will save X hours of creating an own style.
But you can feel happy, if a style for 20$ or 0$ fits your needs, you have saved some money. :)

I understand where you and others are coming from. I do. But to many people a $20 skin that looks good and works is more attractive than a $45 skin that looks good and works. For all we know the $20 skin may have had about the same amount of time and work put into it as the $45 skin.

is one such example.

Just saying. I do understand where people are coming from. And I do understand what people are saying. But I just can't justify the price. Regardless of personal feelings.
It's certainly wise for everyone in this economy to shop around and find the best deal for one's hard-earned money, that I do agree with :)

Try thousands for a decent one.

These look great and very eager to see the light ones. From the demos they look well worth the price.

Only slight worry is as someone said above, the demos do seem to be slightly slow to load. Not sure if that's a server issue or a performance issue with the framework...?
I tested one of the styles on Carl's site, and didn't seem to be slow at all.

Very nice work Miko and Pank :D

Extremely high quality and I am sure the framework is brilliant too! (although I am personally hoping a lot of those options will make their way into the core product down the line.)

Worth every penny of the $45, I once had a premium pre-made that sold for $50 (iTab) and it sold very well dispite the price tag, I am absolutely sure your framework based skins will do so as well, there are always those who will pay for true craftsmanship :)

Well done chaps! Looking forward to seeing further designs from you :)

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

There really is nothing code wise that would be slowing anything down. Personally I just think our server is a bit slow...
Also, anything not being used is set to not load into the framework. It is very optimized and structured in a way to not slow anything down :) I use the default xenforo skin at our forum a lot of the time and really notice no difference in load times.

And I just want to send a huge thank you to the Xenforo dev team :) I was done and never planned to design for any forum software ever again.
Miko kept bugging me to check out this new Xenforo software / I'm glad he kept bugging me ;) Your designs rely solely on your canvas and Xenforo is one smooth ass canvas!

is one such example.

I get what you are saying WhiteTigerGrowl, and in my experience people will buy the look they like, that is true, regardless of how technical it might be behind the scenes.

The fact that you might not be able to justify the pricetag doesn't mean that plenty of others will not be more than happy to pay that amount :)

I am also not yet producing premium pre-made skins, as I have been focussing on Custom Skins, so as much as I thank you for the commendation and link, I have nothing yet that could compare, and would never want to be seen to be taking anything away from another designer, especially not ones I have so much respect for like Miko and Pank.

:)

The work 'behind the scenes' (ie framework) on these skins FAR justify the cost of the $45 price. If you were to have a custom add-on built (even just ONE of the additional features .... and there are several) it would cost you at least $50 to $100 and that may not include all of the admin-options that are within these skins. And, if you are looking for a customized skin, it would cost you upwards of $300+. So, the $45 is VERY affordable and I plan to purchase a skin (lighter version, down the road) as well as the brand-free version of it.

I have a question for you miko if you could be so kind to answer. How long did it take you to build code the sidebar toggle feature?

Thanks for your time.

I honestly cant remember, I made the sidebar JavaScript several months ago..... Probably less than 30 minutes between making the jQuery and integrate it in the framework.

Just some honest feedback here... I love the first style, but really do not like the second one. I will be interested in seeing how much success you have with the $45 price tag.

Anyways very nice work. :)

I was not going to buy a skin at all as I wanted to learn to be able to completely manage everything myself that I could...which would include building my own skin designs. I will however in a short while be purchasing one from Miko and Pank for the framework alone. I could say at this point in time I would not be able to do something that dynamic and have it actually work.

I like the skin designs but my focus with this has been on the framework since the day that it was announced and can't wait to play with it. Which brings up a question for Miko & Pank...I am under the impression that the framework is separate from the theme but comes with it upon purchase. In the OP it says that it can even be used with the default theme...so if the theme I am building for my site is actually a modified default theme would the framework still work correctly? Either way...expect another customer within a few days. Awesome work guys.

I've been a fan of Miko and Panks work for several years now. I've seen them grow their products and I've seen them grow as designers, and I can vouch for them and say that this is some of the best work I have seen from them.

I read this whole thread, and a few are complaining about the high price tag. My father always told me growing up that "you get what you pay for", insinuating that in MANY cases, the higher the price tag, the better the product. Note, I said MANY. This is one of those instances. There are several nicely designed XenForo skins out there for cheap, or for free and I hope all the best in their sales. But not only has Miko and Pank spend countless hours designing and coding a high quality skin, but the Framework is something to be noted heavily. If you were to hire a freelancer to design you a skin like this, and have that framework coded, we are talking about $750+ USD. Which you just purchased for $45. Not only do you get the skin and the impressive framework, but you get EXCELLENT customer support on your skins aswell from the creators themselves. These guys know what they are doing. They have been in the business for years and this is their passion.

Knowing that I am getting a top of the line product, with unlimited customization options from these forum design legends.... I'm sold.

These skins (and everything included with them) cost WAY more than $45. I can buy a $20 skin right now, or I can wait an extra week, not go to McDonalds a few times, and spend $45 on a product I know was worth the purchase, and that my forum members will enjoy on their end AND on the administrators end.

Right then if anyone wishes to test/speed mod compatibility (im using Jaxels Attendo & Medio) on my forum ive just gone live with it on my forum.

(Link in signature)

Right then if anyone wishes to test/speed mod compatibility (im using Jaxels Attendo & Medio) on my forum ive just gone live with it on my forum.

(Link in signature)

I never tested those two mods but they look quite nice with the skin :)

Decent skins. But the prices are a huge turn off. Especially in a world where skins usually are at least half that price for the same if not better quality.
TemplateMonster.com - Unique styles go for $500 to $5000
Average per style seems to be over $75 (and up to $160)

If people don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it but feel it's too expensive; Don't buy it.

Based on the months of work that goes in to the execution of a business plan, the planning, prototyping, a-b testing, beta period and mixed with other work, including considering constant per version changes, free updates, and additional resources planning, releasing and thinking about the future.

Getting paid 45 cents per working hour in the end doesn't sound like $45 or even $99 for a xenforo style that's well thought through and has a framework behind it that makes customizing it to the end-user desires "i want this, but i want that" .. MORE than cheap, reasonable. And realistic.

Yeah, if you're a ****ty company, or not even one, and you throw something together without thinking about all of the above: $12 is just fine.

We all have our opinions, that's just mine. Nothing personal against you - just a comment to what I read.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lighter versions. I'm tickled that there is something that nice and it's affordable.

We're all very fortunate that XF has a lot of talented designers on board.

I am very interesting in buying the Framework only. Your styles are fantastic, but I prefer custom styles I make. Although, using mine with this framework would make my members extra happy as they asked for some of these things.

I am very interesting in buying the Framework only. Your styles are fantastic, but I prefer custom styles I make. Although, using mine with this framework would make my members extra happy as they asked for some of these things.
+ for that :D

Top Bottom