the xenForo mobile app created by xenForo, when ?

wal94

Hi ! i plan to purchase a forum software,
i appreciate xenforo but vbulletin has a native mobile app created by vbulletin with licence for life,
so i really hesitate.. :rolleyes::unsure::cry:

thank you to give satisfying information about the title question..

I definitely want to have an app for my forum. I grew in the time of the pc and still do not even own a smartphone but I can see how important is that for the users who visit the forum. Some of them even asked me in PM about app.

I believe the best argument for the mobile apps is that young people no longer search for forums they search for apps.
I am not that up with apps etc.
But I do know that most young people do not know what a forum is, or a message board, or a bulletin board.
If you google forum, you also get live meetings as in a government, or medical forum etc.
I have mentoned this on other threads and other forums, as to how we can get new members.
I am an older guy, and If I start a new hobby or interest, I always search for any forums on it.
But young ones will probably go to FB or YT.
They will not search for a forum, if they do not know what a forum is.

I believe the best argument for the mobile apps is that young people no longer search for forums they search for apps.
True, an app can be an extra channel for new visitors.

It is quite easy to make a PWA app for your site. There is a tutorial in the resource section. Once that is working you can make an APK and publish it to de app store. There are PWA to APK converters online. Not sure about iOS.
The hardest part will be that you need a developer account and publish your app. Some work involved here.

Anyway, I have been using different kind of apps:
-Tapatalk
-XenForo App (created by one of the third party devs over here)
-PWA

In all cases, the install base never reached a point that it would be very interesting for me. Most people keep using the web interface, even if you push them to install the app. This will be different for every type of forum.

If they started development now, they probably would be done after the pandemic ends, so that's a somewhat futile argument.
True. Takes a lot to get movement.
This was the reply from a staff member about a app.
An app. (y)
I would definitely pay for a dedicated Xenforo mobile app. I switched from Vb to Xenforo to remain on the cutting edge of forum technology. At the time Xenforo was the easy choice and I would like for it to remain that way.
I would too. We're desperate.
I am not that up with apps etc.
But I do know that most young people do not know what a forum is, or a message board, or a bulletin board.
If you google forum, you also get live meetings as in a government, or medical forum etc.
I have mentoned this on other threads and other forums, as to how we can get new members.
I am an older guy, and If I start a new hobby or interest, I always search for any forums on it.
But young ones will probably go to FB or YT.
They will not search for a forum, if they do not know what a forum is.
You are spot on.

Most people keep using the web interface, even if you push them to install the app. This will be different for every type of forum.
I somewhat doubt that there is a large difference between forums.

We've had (and partly still have) TapaTalk and ForumRunner on almost all of our ~ 80 different forums - none of them really "took off" on app usage.
On some forums thare are small groups of very vocal users, but the majority quite simply does not care.

Last edited:
I've stated this in a few other threads...
For me, the app need is not about browsing. It's about integrating with the device.

From the camera or my phone file system, i can share a pic on facebook, or a textmsg, or insta, or snapchat.... but i cannot share to a webpage - MY SITE - even if it's mobile friendly.

this is why FB is first, and forums are left out.

It's the push concept (not notifications) from device to forum that is missing. our boards must 'pull' content which is backwards from everyone else.

All I really want out of an app is the ability to natively share. Anything else it does can be a wrapper to the mobile theme.

From the camera or my phone file system, i can share a pic on facebook, or a textmsg, or insta, or snapchat.... but i cannot share to a webpage - MY SITE - even if it's mobile friendly.
I have no such restrictions with xenforo and in fact I see no functional difference at all sharing files whether it be FB, xF, snapchat, etc. Of course, I don't use apps at all, haven't seen the need to do so. Just browser to webpage.

If I want to attach a file either from my phone's file system or camera, I just do it. No app needed.

This is not to say I'm arguing against a xF-built native app. I would love to be able to offer that to my membership.

Top Bottom