the xenForo mobile app created by xenForo, when ?

wal94

Hi ! i plan to purchase a forum software,
i appreciate xenforo but vbulletin has a native mobile app created by vbulletin with licence for life,
so i really hesitate.. :rolleyes::unsure::cry:

thank you to give satisfying information about the title question..

The ability to share to my forum from my phone as a native app like facebook allows (eg, go to my pictures, click share, there's facebook....) is the #1 reason why i'm failing even with 75,000 users.

My users are posting their pics to other places first.

in a day or two when they get around to it, they link the pictures from fb to my forum and talk about it... but everyone they are friends with (most of the active people) have already seen it so it's a waste of time.

The push functionality (and i'm not talking about notifications) from phone to our sites is the critical piece that we lack. We are forced to 'pull' after they've gone to the site, made a thread, and click on attach, and browse for a file.

THAT'S the bread.

Yes. Usual app development would cost around $5000-$10000 per app. You'll pay only $240/yr which is much more cost effective for smaller forums.
Just to be clear ForumApps has had a bit of a price increase to $79 a month for the base level. Hope XenForo considers how many people we are losing to Facebook groups and their app.

Just to be clear Forum App has had a bit of a price increase to $79 a month. Hope XenForo considers how many people we are losing to Facebook groups and their app.

I've heard this a lot and I'm generally curious. What makes you think you are losing users to Facebook groups? I literally have not heard that from any of my users and my site is going on nine years old. What is it about Facebook that is attracting users. I haven't seen anything on Facebook that could come close to replacing a forum, though I am not big into Facebook so I could have missed something.

My search for a mobile app for Xenforo brought me here. My forum came from vBulletin to Xenforo a couple of years ago, and back then I used Tapatalk.

Am I understanding that the base price for the Xenforo mobile app is $79/month? Are there any other options? I seriously doubt I can justify that cost as my forum traffic is way down due to Facebook groups offering similar content. I'm open to suggestions and options if there are any. I know some users just won't come to my forum if they have to do it via a browser on a mobile device.

Try this:

Works well. No need for a mobile app. Just post setup instructions for your members. Then click on the forum icon - opens immediately, just like a mobile app.

Try this:

Works well. No need for a mobile app. Just post setup instructions for your members. Then click on the forum icon - opens immediately, just like a mobile app.

That's neat, unfortunately would be Android only from the looks of it.

The feedback I've received is that users liked the convenience of Tapatalk and don't like using a browser to access my forum on a mobile phone. So the shortcut idea is a good one, but it's still using the browsers. Personally I access my forum with my iPhone and Safari and have no problem with it, but others don't like it. Tapatalk spoiled them, and I had nothing but difficulties getting support from Tapatalk when I needed it, and really don't want to go that route again.

The feedback I've received is that users liked the convenience of Tapatalk and don't like using a browser to access my forum on a mobile phone. So the shortcut idea is a good one, but it's still using the browsers. Personally I access my forum with my iPhone and Safari and have no problem with it, but others don't like it. Tapatalk spoiled them, and I had nothing but difficulties getting support from Tapatalk when I needed it, and really don't want to go that route again.
We're in the same boat, have been for some time and as of yet - haven't found a real solution that is affordable too. There's some great web wrappers around, but a truly native app is ideal.. One day maybe. :D

If you have a very basic vanilla XF board, like no customizations and addons, then a 3rd party app could help you out. Otherwise the current approach of the responsive system is by far the best. Because all of your stuff works just like on desktop.

So unless XF creates a native app which would force everyone to be compatible with it, I would advise you to stick to responsive design.

Last edited:
If you have a very basic vanilla XF board, like no customizations and addons, then a 3rd party app could help you out. Otherwise the current approach of the responsive system is by far the best. Because all of your sriff works just like on desktop.

So unless XF creates a native app which would force everyone to be compatible with it, I would advise you to stick to responsive design.

Thank you sbj. I'm not sure if mine qualifies as plain vanilla or not. I have an ad system installed and custom colors and a few graphics, etc. I want to accommodate users but can't justify nearly $1000 for a year.

Thank you sbj. I'm not sure if mine qualifies as plain vanilla or not. I have an ad system installed and custom colors and a few graphics, etc. I want to accommodate users but can't justify nearly $1000 for a year.
From that description it sounds definitely as vanilla. Almost nothing to worry about.

And I believe none of us can justify that sum and the reviews for those apps were not amazing. Stay out of them and definitely ditch tapatalk.

Top Bottom