The silence is deafening.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetigergrowl

Ok we all know about the lawsuit with IB. And as I understand some changes have happened behind the scenes with Xenforo. But whatever.

I've wanted to renew my license....but until I see something...anything...that shows that the forum isn't in a dead state...I just can't and won't.

Some keep asking about a roadmap. I'm not even concerned with that much. Talk of an upcoming new feature in the next version (whenever that is) every now and then. Word of various additions or improvements in the near future. Anything to show there is some (even if slow or gradual) progress is being made. But it's all pretty much non-existent.

When it comes to the lawsuit stuff and how financially and emotionally draining it can be, I understand. Been there. Done that. But this is also supposed to be some sort of business. As a business you want to keep customers in the loop to some extent or they risk being alienated. You risk them giving up and going elsewhere. Which is a bad way of making money. Which is counter-productive to what a business wants to do.

Leaving customers hanging isn't a good way of doing business with existing customers, nor is it a good way to gain new ones.

With the glacial pace of forward movement on the product I'm inclined to believe that anything that is going on behind the scenes in regards to the software is minimal at best.

It's really a shame too. I don't agree with the lawsuit IB has brought on Xenforo and agree with many on why they likely did it. I do like the Xenforo software.

For the last several months I've been trolling the forums. Watching to see what's going on and if there are any new developments. Some of the things I have seen are concerning to say the least.

At this point at least I do not feel comfortable enough to renew my license. Nor do I feel comfortable enough to support and recommend the software to others. Not until I see that the software development has not indeed ceased but is instead making forward progress and movement. That is unless those running Xenforo come out and give its supporters and members a heads up on what's going on with its progress.

At this point it's just become to much of a risk. At least for me.

Hopefully things turn around. I really hope they do. And soon. Or Xenforo will likely join the ranks of the 'could have beens' in the near future rather than the 'best in the business' now.

Easy on the complaining until the trial is resolved.

Unless Xenforo has completely run out of cash or there is some sort of injunction stating they can no longer work on Xenforo until the end of trial, I fail to see why some sort of progress has not been made in all this time. And if there has been, why nothing has been said to help appease people and maybe make them start thinking more positive about Xenforo again.

Fact is, lawsuits drag on for months....even years. They do not go on 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Nor does the evidence gathering. Once all evidence has been turned over to the lawyer there is only so much more you can do. It becomes a waiting game. So what is going on while everyone is waiting?

You would also think you would want the forum software in this case to sell well. Why? So at a minimum you can get more money to help with the trial if nothing else. Rather than be burdened into the financial ground on a strictly personal level which would likely inhibit growth for Xenforo.

I highly suspect from what I'm seeing that money is being lost. And not just from the lawsuit. But from those likely no renewing their licenses like me because of lack of transparency on the product and it's progress the past year. Even if to some extent. Even if it's on a new feature being worked on or something. Anything.

On the extreme downside is that if IB does win (hypothetically speaking), then Xenforo WILL be dead as we know it. Guaranteed.

Why would anyone want to fork over money to renew or buy a product that for the past year has sat pretty much still minus a minor update and shown almost zero signs of any forward movement. Out of faith? Sorry but faith doesn't sell products.

Like I said, I hope they get their crap together and are able to move on. But the longer this drags with little forward movement the worse things will likely get for Xenforo. That's the reality of things. And if that isn't being considered or looked at or being taken seriously by staff...well...then there isn't much anyone can or will do.

Your choice to hold off renewing is understandable, however with the lawsuit hopefully drawing to an end soon (Settlement conference at Feb 13, and failing that, it looks likely the trial will happen in March) hopefully it wont be long before updates will start rolling out again.

Your choice to hold off renewing is understandable, however with the lawsuit hopefully drawing to an end soon (Settlement conference at Feb 13, and failing that, it looks likely the trial will happen in March) hopefully it wont be long before updates will start rolling out again.

I hope so. The problem is, why can't some roll out now. What is the actual inhibitor. Because the lawsuit isn't the entire reason for the slow forward movement. Zero doubt about that. Because if Xenforo has been pushed to the edge by the lawsuit now, even when the lawsuit ends they will still be sitting on that financial edge. So unless they are all sitting in the lawyers office 24/7 (because they do have other clients to tend to).....I'm curious as to why zero has been said. Even about a new feature or new option in quite some time. Something to keep peoples interest.

It's just sad to see that Xenforo has gotten to the state it's in. It used to be a vibrant community and forum with a lot of potential. But now it seems relegated to the same few people on the forum to keep it active and to try and keep interest and faith there.

But the only...and I mean only way I would have any faith is if there is or will be forward movement at this point, and to even consider me renewing the software, is through an update from those making the software. Which seem to have gone AWOL on its progress or situation. I can understand no updates on the lawsuit and not wanting to talk about it. But the forum software too? That's the most puzzling of all.

I can understand no updates on the lawsuit and not wanting to talk about it. But the forum software too? That's the most puzzling of all.
I'm thinking the opposite. The basic communication about the trial (without any comments) should be done by the official staff and not moderators or members. But for the updates... imagine they update XenForo and then IB is asking for a new expertise to check if the new code doesn't contain any vBulletin elements... Once the trial over, the coding part shouldn't be a problem at all.

Now to come back to the main topic which is the renewal, the question is if you want or not to support this team who gave so much to Internet about Forum Communities. The other way to see things is whether or not you want to play the game of IB.

Before this thread gets closed, my guess is there is an order for no further development until until the trial is over.
I haven't renewed my licenses and awaiting the outcome.
Then again my xf forums weren't doing anything anyway.

To answer your question the reason why there's been no development is because Mike has left to pursue his own business interests, photography as I understand it.

To answer your question the reason why there's been no development is because Mike has left to pursue his own business interests, photography as I understand it.

I wish people would stop peddling that Mike has left.

Yes, Mike has a photography business, however he is a passionate photographer, so just because he may have set up trying to earn a side income from his hobby doesn't mean he has gone anywhere from XenForo. Heck, I do the same in my hobbies, offer my expertise for cash... doesn't mean i've quit my day job.

I bought my license knowing an unjust trial was underway, however XF is powerful software and support is still provided. The community is pushing out resources for extra functionality at a superb rate and the forums are alive.

I don't mind waiting for feature updates as long as security fixes (if any are needed) are still being issued.

edit: I also wanted to add that I'm proud XenForo is a British company, another reason for buying my license.

Yes, Mike has a photography business, however he is a passionate photographer, so just because he may have set up trying to earn a side income from his hobby doesn't mean he has gone anywhere from XenForo. Heck, I do the same in my hobbies, offer my expertise for cash... doesn't mean i've quit my day job.
Yeah, posts like this are getting really tiresome.

Especially seeing as the following is true:
  • Mike is still a director of XenForo Ltd
  • Mike still responds to support tickets
  • Mike spent considerable amounts of recently resolving server issues here at XenForo.com
So yeah... completely left the business.

In response to the closed thread.
slavik said:
ChemicalKicks said:

If Mike has all this spare time then why isn't he developing XenForo?

In response to the closed thread.

If Mike has all this spare time then why isn't he developing XenForo?
seriously , if you have all of this spare time why are you not developing your site....

what he is doing in his spare time is his business...and not for nothing...but who the hell are you anyways.

opening closed topics because you want to is a corny thing to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom