XF 1.5 "The requested page could not be found." When Interacting With Spoiler Tags

Divvens

Some of my users are reporting that when they interact with the "spoiler" BBCode (no changes -as it ships with XenForo) they are taken to a new page inline-mod/post/switch instead of the spoiler opening.

This seems to be happening on Google Chrome (Win 7) & on default android browser on a couple of phones.

Is this something that the server side configuration is messing up or do I need to check my templates?

I cannot recreate this problem myself, so its very difficult to troubleshoot - but multiple users did report this, so there seems to be an issue.

I cannot recreate this problem myself, so its very difficult to troubleshoot - but multiple users did report this, so there seems to be an issue.

Last edited:
It's certainly something I would check with a totally default style. If it still happens, you may need to confirm with add-ons disabled.

As an additional point, you should run the file health check to see if anything needs to be reuploaded there.

It's certainly something I would check with a totally default style. If it still happens, you may need to confirm with add-ons disabled.

As an additional point, you should run the file health check to see if anything needs to be reuploaded there.
I'm trying to eliminate the possible causes one by one - I'll try with add-ons disabled and on default style (or I'll ask the user to test it here on XenForo)

File health check returns everything normal :D

"Security error occured. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again."

That's the error that the users are receiving on the page they are redirected to when they click on the spoiler tag @Mike, I'm still trying out various things to see if we can reach a solution here.

I'm giving up on this Mike. The 3/4 people facing this problem seem to not have anything in common, there is no similarity and no pattern for the error, it produces this error at times and not at times.

A couple users also mentioned not being able to quote posts, being taken to a separate page to confirm liking posts, reply button forcing them into the full reply page and not the quick editor - but these were isolated issues due to DNS troubles on the users end, I guess this is also on user end.

One of our users has the security error on his iPad and another member has no issues using an iPad, everything else being same (different iPads though).

Sorry for the trouble :)

Actually, Brogan is right, all of these symptoms are indicative of JavaScript being disabled or blocked or an error occurring in some JavaScript being included in the page.

When the users are experiencing the issue it would be useful if they could bring up their browser's Console tab in the browser's Developer tools. This may list some errors that are relevant if that's the case. They should also try it with all browser extensions disabled; particularly script and ad blockers.

That all said, the behaviour of the "Spoiler" button when JS is disabled concerns me. It's a <button> element, and the default behaviour of these is to submit the current form (in this case, the inline mod stuff) so that behaviour is somewhat confusing when JS is disabled. We should either change the behaviour of the button or not show it at all when JS is disabled, so I will create a new bug report.

I made a change here, but it seems as though the spoiler button should already be hidden when JS is disabled.

With this in mind, these users may be experiencing problems with JS breaking on the page. This could be caused by ads or some other faulty JS in the page. With that in mind, I would suggest still troubleshooting the issue. However, from 1.5.8 onwards the inline-mod/post/switch redirection won't happen.

Top Bottom