The next major XenForo upgrade

FTL

I know XF don't make announcements about future upgrades, but if possible, would a dev be able to give me some idea of when the next major version of XF might be released, say a version 3.0.0 or something like that?

In particular, I'm thinking about the article functionality that is very much in an early development phase in this version which isn't that useful for me as my home page is all articles and I need a better CMS than this offers. Something more like WordPress, or my suggestion in this thread for functionality before I bought XF for these basic options would really help me out. As it is, the article functionality really could be better, unfortunately. Other than that, I'm happy with XF as it works really smoothly, doesn't do anything stupid and has great customer service etc.

I know it's possible to add WP with add-ons to achieve this, but I'd be much happier for various reasons to have basic, but solid CMS style article functionality integrated into XF and just stick to that.

Last edited:
There's no guarantee a future upgrade would change or improve articles, so I'd suggest you do a search (articles or CMS) in the suggestions forum to see if there is anything already suggested that fits in what what you want, and add you vote. If not start your own suggestion.

I know and am thinking about that, but I just want to sound it out here first and see what shakes out. If a dev came on here and said that they're planning significant changes to it, then that would be good enough for me so I'd just sit it out.

The article functionality isn't "in early development phase". It is what it is. At some point in the future it may be expanded and developed further, but it was designed, quite deliberately, to exist as seamlessly as possible in the context of a forum rather than to be considered as some sort of fully fledged CMS.

This will be more than enough for most but if it isn't for you then you may want to look at other solutions or customisations to the existing functionality.

Ok thanks Chris, this helps me to plan for better article functionality.

I said "early development" based on the demo video from last year which hinted at further development to come, but perhaps I was mistaken, my apologies.

I'd have thought that something like the options I outlined in my post that I linked to could be added without disruptive changes to the core functionality, look and feel of XF, but if that's not on the cards, at least I know now. I'm thinking of making a suggestion thread about that though if you don't mind? Who knows, it might a be a popular feature request.

I'm thinking of making a suggestion thread about that though if you don't mind? Who knows, it might a be a popular feature request.
I'd support any suggestions that I feel would enhance articles or progress towards a (more fully fetaured and SEO friendly ) CMS integrated into xenforo

I'd support any suggestions that I feel would enhance articles or progress towards a (more fully fetaured and SEO friendly ) CMS integrated into xenforo
Thanks, that’s encouraging! 🙂 I’ll post the suggestion later.

Isn't this where something like @Bob's Article Management System comes in? Adds to the base for those who need more? I looked at it when I was bidding to take over a writing site I am on and it seemed perfect for handling a content-driven site like that while coexisting nicely with XF for the forums.

I'd be much happier for various reasons to have basic, but solid CMS style article functionality integrated into XF and just stick to that.

I bought Xenforo for forums. I am quite happy to use an add-on for something like this. My worry would be that any effort to turn XF into a more generic CMS will give us forum software that is a half-arsed CMS or a CMS that is half-arsed forum software. I would rather see Xenforo stick to what they are best at and let the add-on ecosystem deal with how to expand beyond that core.

My worry would be that any effort to turn XF into a more generic CMS will give us forum software that is a half-arsed CMS or a CMS that is half-arsed forum software
So true.
From what we can deduce from the various updates, from the unimplemented suggestions, from what we can read on the right or on the left it seems that XF has taken the option of focusing on the development of ... forums ! and not a set of applications that revolve around a forum, a kind of hybrid ecosystem.
Personally, I think the same thing, I would rather excel in one area than be average in several.

@Mendalla and @nicodak I think you can have confidence in XF's developers that they wouldn't let a CMS reduce the quality of the product. 🙂 It would only have to be basic and is a natural fit for a forum.

Just a quick question for the devs if you can advise at all. I purchased an XF license just over a year ago now and have appreciated the many bug fix releases in that time. The software continues to work beautifully and I still swear by it rather than at it.

I'm just wondering if there are any feature updates on their way is all. Not necessarily the CMS thing that I was asking about before, but any other features that you might be bringing to XF in the next 6-12 months perhaps. Again, I know you don't like to talk about future development plans, but any info at all would be appreciated. 🙂

Just a quick question for the devs if you can advise at all. I purchased an XF license just over a year ago now and have appreciated the many bug fix releases in that time. The software continues to work beautifully and I still swear by it rather than at it.

I'm just wondering if there are any feature updates on their way is all. Not necessarily the CMS thing that I was asking about before, but any other features that you might be bringing to XF in the next 6-12 months perhaps. Again, I know you don't like to talk about future development plans, but any info at all would be appreciated. 🙂
IIRC, it has been stated in other threads that XF 2.3, which would be the next feature update, is planned for this year. That's about as much detail as they will usually give out. When, what's in it, etc. will come when they are ready.

Reactions: FTL
IIRC, it has been stated in other threads that XF 2.3, which would be the next feature update, is planned for this year. That's about as much detail as they will usually give out. When, what's in it, etc. will come when they are ready.
Cool, thanks for the info. 🙂

Top Bottom