The New YouTube Look

Kings Hat

I was surprised there isn't already a discussion here on XF about it, since we talk about so many different things here in the off-topic discussion :p

I loaded up youtube today, and I was surprised to see it looking so similar to google+, I personally hate the extra space on the right side of the screen on higher resoulutions. It seems like we are going back in time where websites layouts used to stick to the left and not be centered xD

Your Opinion?

Good grief, I use youtube daily and have to say the new look, is ermmm, ever go to a site and the page partially loads up? it looks like that.Too much whites/light colours. Icons on the right look terrible. Previous design imo was far better.

Edit: Half of the screen to the right is just wasted space. Arghhhhh what have they done?

I was surprised there isn't already a discussion here on XF about it, since we talk about so many different things here in the off-topic discussion :p

I loaded up youtube today, and I was surprised to see it looking so similar to google+, I personally hate the extra space on the right side of the screen on higher resoulutions. It seems like we are going back in time where websites layouts used to stick to the left and not be centered xD

Your Opinion?

I won't comment on the design itself, but the UI changes fall in line with updates other projects have received (and which others eventually will). It's part of a company-wide initiative, to bring a uniformed UI redesign to all products, that started back in 2011.

I only have a small resolution lappy atm, so it doesn't bother me at all :sneaky:

The design seems more actually "designed" this time, rather than the previous which I never cared for that much, always disliked the comments being on the background rather than contained in anything, to me this looks better. Maybe I am missing something, as I don't see any icons on the right :confused: Or did you mean the small image previews of the vids Shelley?

That's probably just a layout bug that will be fixed. Beyond that, I like it, it blends well with Win8.
It is not a layout bug, have you seen the google+ design, its the same to what youtube is now.

Good grief, I use youtube daily and have to say the new look, is ermmm, ever go to a site and the page partially loads up? it looks like that.Too much whites/light colours. Icons on the right look terrible. Previous design imo was far better.

Edit: Half of the screen to the right is just wasted space. Arghhhhh what have they done?
Totally agree with you Shelly, previous design was indeed far better. I like improvements, I'm not the kind of person who goes "OMFG why did they change it", but I dislike this new YouTube look with a passion.

I only have a small resolution lappy atm, so it doesn't bother me at all :sneaky:

The design seems more actually "designed" this time, rather than the previous which I never cared for that much, always disliked the comments being on the background rather than contained in anything, to me this looks better. Maybe I am missing something, as I don't see any icons on the right :confused: Or did you mean the small image previews of the vids Shelley?

My mistake icons in the navigation on the left. :D

Okay, so the nav has disappeared now and the navigation menu is not there. :confused: I think I need more :sleep:

My mistake icons in the navigation on the left. :D

Okay, so the nav has disappeared now and the navigation menu is not there. :confused: I think I need more :sleep:

LOL yeah, the icons are pretty ordinary, when compared to your work :p They should have commissioned a special set from you! :D

This is how it looks for me on 1920x1080 resolution
YouTubeNew.webp

That free space on the right...is it there so that I can attach a mirror and stare at my face? xD I don't get it why they need to do that can't they just center it. It's just a simple margin: auto; to the #page-container. Centering it wouldn't affect smaller devices/resolutions as far as I know.

LOL yeah, the icons are pretty ordinary, when compared to your work :p They should have commissioned a special set from you! :D

They actually had a very nice high quality set previously I'm surprised they never just used those ones.

View attachment 37714
That free space on the right...is it there so that I can attach a mirror and stare at my face? xD I don't get it why they need to do that can't they just center it. It's just a simple margin: auto; to the #page-container. Centering itt wouldn't affect smaller devices/resolutions as far as I know.

Yeah I can see how that would be annoying! I hate left aligned design, just centre it for gawd's sake!

View attachment 37714
That free space on the right...is it there so that I can attach a mirror and stare at my face? xD I don't get it why they need to do that can't they just center it. It's just a simple margin: auto; to the #page-container. Centering itt wouldn't affect smaller devices/resolutions as far as I know.

Same here using x2 monitors on 1920 and I'm about to hang a picture on the right hand side of my monitor whenever i visit youtube. :P

It actually was centered during A/B testing.

The interesting thing about reading reviews about redesigns is how widely they vary. Since it's been in testing, the amount of people who are now subscribing to channels has grown, as well as view times from channels. But, some people will outright dislike it, and that opinion is as valid as any other.

The one thing I dislike is I can't scroll through their videos. If I was watching one of your videos, I use to be able to show a selection of videos above the current (or finished) video and pick from a list of other videos you've published. That no longer seems to be the case.

I also miss the darker menu to the left.... All this white on white.... I can live with it, but it's still bright.

It actually was centered during A/B testing.

The interesting thing about reading reviews about redesigns is how widely they vary. Since it's been in testing, the amount of people who are now subscribing to channels has grown, as well as view times from channels. But, some people will outright dislike it, and that opinion is as valid as any other.

Despite the design, even if I loathed the new design which i don't, i'd continue using it. I average 50 gig of streaming a month according to the data usage on my nexus 7 so it's content I look for and find useful and the design is an after thought. Youtube has been very kind to me since it's got an abundance of documentary's that are not aired here, discontinued or are just too old (old BBC horizon eps from the 60s/70s/80s) and will never be aired all of which are on youtube.

I'm a fan of youtube, it's content and greatful I can get these documentary's where I can't get anywhere else. And it's free. Yay for youtube. :LOL:

ps. Still not fond of the new look though. :giggle:

Despite the design, even if I loathed the new design which i don't, i'd continue using it. I average 50 gig of streaming a month according to the data usage on my nexus 7 so it's content I look for and find useful and the design is an after thought. Youtube has been very kind to me since it's got an abundance of documentary's that are not aired here, discontinued or are just too old (old BBC horizon eps from the 60s/70s/80s) and will never be aired all of which are on youtube.

I'm a fan of youtube, it's content and greatful I can get these documentary's where I can't get anywhere else. And it's free. Yay for youtube. :LOL:

ps. Still not fond of the new look though. :giggle:

Noted. I could have worded that last sentence better. It wasn't meant to belittle your, or anyone else's, opinion.

I work for Google, though on a completely different team, but in the same building as a lot of the YouTube folks. We've had some interesting conversations during lunch the last few days about the redesign, leading up to the full launch. My point only was that a lot of "science" goes into each redesign. It's not as arbitrary as some may think. If subscribers, view time, etc. drops off the next few days, you can expect to see some tweaks.

That said, I can respect the fact you're not fond of the new look. :)

Noted. I could have worded that last sentence better. It wasn't meant to belittle your, or anyone else's, opinion.

I work for Google, though on a completely different team, but in the same building as a lot of the YouTube folks. We've had some interesting conversations during lunch the last few days about the redesign, leading up to the full launch. My point only was that a lot of "science" goes into each redesign. It's not as arbitrary as some may think. If subscribers, view time, etc. drops off the next few days, you can expect to see some tweaks.

That said, I can respect the fact you're not fond of the new look. :)

Youtube (since i got my nexus 7) has been the site I visit most so I can't see my activity dropping. TBH I can't see activity dropping on youtube as a whole, even with the new introduced new look. I would have liked them to have catered for high res users but it's not really a biggie for me because I'd say 10% of my youtube usage is through my desktop, 90% through my nexus 7s so the new design as a minimal impact on me.

BTW I wasn't knocking your post, it was more to say I was greatful for what youtube/google provides and the benefits they provide outweigh the cons which to be honest isn't a really big issue. :)

It'd be interest to know what was said in the re-design talks. Eitherway youtube is still and will remain my primary go to site for my vid content.

View attachment 37714
That free space on the right...is it there so that I can attach a mirror and stare at my face? xD I don't get it why they need to do that can't they just center it. It's just a simple margin: auto; to the #page-container. Centering it wouldn't affect smaller devices/resolutions as far as I know.
I don't understand it either. They did the same in G+ a while ago and were sh1tstormed for it (not that they cared anyway, because the G+ design still has this major amount of wasted space :) ).

Centering the entire thing wouldn't improve anything, but arguably, it might look a little bit better. A modern layout should be "intelligent" in some ways and adopt itself to the available screen space. What if the list of related videos on the right would auto-adjust its number of columns to fill the screen better? The medium sized player does already change its size when you change the width of the browser window, so why leave the remaining parts in a fixed layout?

I don't understand it either. They did the same in G+ a while ago and were sh1tstormed for it (not that they cared anyway, because the G+ design still has this major amount of wasted space :) ).

Centering the entire thing wouldn't improve anything, but arguably, it might look a little bit better. A modern layout should be "intelligent" in some ways and adopt itself to the available screen space. What if the list of related videos on the right would auto-adjust its number of columns to fill the screen better? The medium sized player does already change its size when you change the width of the browser window, so why leave the remaining parts in a fixed layout?
Thats actually quite a good idea, to make it so that its kinda fluid/has extra content for larger resolutions to not let so much space empty.

Top Bottom