The New YouTube Look

Just when I was getting used to a layout they introduced 3 months ago they come up with this pale, ugly, boring, cluttered thing that doesn't improve anything for the end user. And I lost video recommendations on the index page on the right side which I actually found useful. Someone should be fired.

I share the same thought...

Feedback like this is immensely helpful.

If you ever have a few minutes, I'd urge you to use the feedback form on the site. It does get read, and you'll also be able to highlight portions of the page to help illustrate your points.

Feedback like this is immensely helpful.

If you ever have a few minutes, I'd urge you to use the feedback form on the site. It does get read, and you'll also be able to highlight portions of the page to help illustrate your points.

I actually tried that, the portion of the page I wanted to report as an issue was the area i couldn't highlight.

The individuals responsible for such things are part of Engineering (user experience team), not Operations, if you really wanted to address scathing emails to the right people, heh. Though, that's rather unhelpful and counterproductive.

I actually tried that, the portion of the page I wanted to report as an issue was the area i couldn't highlight.

Curious, what part of the page were you trying to highlight?

The individuals responsible for such things are part of Engineering (user experience team), not Operations, if you really wanted to address scathing emails to the right people, heh. Though, that's rather unhelpful and counterproductive.

Curious, what part of the page were you trying to highlight?

The wasted white space on the right. I left some text a summary but was sure this field was for that so never submitted

I dislike the new version.

The old version had my subscribed channels new content listed in the center column. Important since I subscribed to those channels and it allowed me to quickly see (and view if I chose) any of the new (to me) videos from those channels quickly and easily. Content that YouTube thought I might be interested in (based on viewing habits, etc.) was listed in a column to the right.
This worked well for me.

Now, both subscribed and suggested content are mixed together in the center column. The right column shows (only 6 so far) recommended channels.
This does not work well for me. Having to wade through the suggesated material to see the new subscription content takes more time and is less intuitive.

I much prefer the previous version/UI.

I’ve left them 2 feedback/emails.

I like it actually, has some issues with it that I don't like at all, but other wise I like it.

I actually made a google chrome extension to center the site (it makes it ugly imo but it works) and so far have over 200 downloads, closing in on 300.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but generally the most important content (in youtubes case, the video) should be central and the thing you look at directly.

Now, looking at a video on youtube, I'm actually surprised on how poorly this is executed:

youtube_new_layout.webp

The actual video is a rather small bit in the left corner, while all the "extra stuff" is in placed central, and half the screen is white... seriously? If I look straight at the middle of my screen, I barely get to see the video.. I can't even scroll up to make the video more central in my view, because they decided to put stuff like the title and such underneath the video. It kinda ruins the experience for me, honestly..

I really preferred the old layout.

Two things that drive me nuts:
  1. The fact that it's not centered, I don't like looking to the left side of my monitor just to view a website.
  2. I hate having to click two links on the home page just to see the videos that have been posted by people I'm subscribed to.
    • I don't care about YouTubes suggestions or what videos people I'm subscribed to liked or commented on.
Don't get me wrong, some of the new UI changes look nice, but don't mess with fundamental things like I mentioned above.

Two things that drive me nuts:
  1. The fact that it's not centered, I don't like looking to the left side of my monitor just to view a website.
  2. I hate having to click two links on the home page just to see the videos that have been posted by people I'm subscribed to.
    • I don't care about YouTubes suggestions or what videos people I'm subscribed to liked or commented on.
Don't get me wrong, some of the new UI changes look nice, but don't mess with fundamental things like I mentioned above.

Many of the suggested videos I get is mostly 2+ years old, I've already watched most of them. And ofc a lot of suggestions that I'm not actually interested in is there as well... I watched a food recipe video recently just out of curiosity and YouTube begins to think I'm interested in cooking xD

Many of the suggested videos I get is mostly 2+ years old, I've already watched most of them. And ofc a lot of suggestions that I'm not actually interested in is there as well... I watched a food recipe video recently just out of curiosity and YouTube begins to think I'm interested in cooking xD

:ROFLMAO: we'll make a chef out of you yet. :LOL: If of course youtube fails to.

I dislike the new version.

The old version had my subscribed channels new content listed in the center column. Important since I subscribed to those channels and it allowed me to quickly see (and view if I chose) any of the new (to me) videos from those channels quickly and easily. Content that YouTube thought I might be interested in (based on viewing habits, etc.) was listed in a column to the right.
This worked well for me.

Now, both subscribed and suggested content are mixed together in the center column. The right column shows (only 6 so far) recommended channels.
This does not work well for me. Having to wade through the suggesated material to see the new subscription content takes more time and is less intuitive.

I much prefer the previous version/UI.

I’ve left them 2 feedback/emails.
Good to see others with the exact same issue, I also send a complaint about that, hopefully it will weigh in on the next update. The recommended channels should just show within the 'my subscriptions' pages not on the main page.

Top Bottom