The 'New' iPad (Third Generation)

ManagerJosh

Thoughts folks on the new third generation iPad?

I'm disappointed there is no Siri. I'm also even more disappointed it has not gone to a true quad core processor for both processing and graphics.

Sigh. 4th Generation iPad anyone? :D

I've been an apple fan since 1984, but I still have an iphone 3G (yes!) and keep my desktops for 5+ years.
It really does stump me why folks care about incremental upgrades, but I think it gives them a reason to buy....when they've been sitting on the fence. They can hand the old one down to someone else in the family, etc. and get the latest and greatest.

Other than for hard-core gamers and stuff like that....it's hard to imagine how 2000+ pixels wide in a tiny screen matters much...or processor speed. Since most of us spend our time on the internet these days, signal strength to your local router is probably the most important metric.

But please, everyone, run out and get 2 of them! I'm a big apple stockholder!

I've been an apple fan since 1984, but I still have an iphone 3G (yes!) and keep my desktops for 5+ years.
It really does stump me why folks care about incremental upgrades, but I think it gives them a reason to buy....when they've been sitting on the fence. They can hand the old one down to someone else in the family, etc. and get the latest and greatest.

Other than for hard-core gamers and stuff like that....it's hard to imagine how 2000+ pixels wide in a tiny screen matters much...or processor speed. Since most of us spend our time on the internet these days, signal strength to your local router is probably the most important metric.

But please, everyone, run out and get 2 of them! I'm a big apple stockholder!

I don't mind incremental upgrades, because I pick up the last generation models for dirt cheap :D :P

Kind of surprised they're just calling it the "iPad," rather than something like iPad 3 or iPad HD. Seems they're taking after the "version numbers aren't important" trend that Google Chrome started, and is also being reflected in Mountain Lion, which is officially just "OS X."

I'm sure many people are going to be confused, thinking iPad 2 is better than the new iPad.

I didn't have the first iPad, and since I got an iPad 2, I actually have not turned on my laptop a single time. But going from my iPhone 4 to the iPad, the iPhone's "retina" display makes my iPad's look like poo (even though it's in fact a pretty good display). I'd say it's safe to say that the retina screen alone on the iPad 3 will make it hugely popular.

The display from the original and first generation iPad did not look good as the pixels where obviously displayed. That's the reason I did not pick one up. I do wonder why, because i like XGA on 15 inch displays. I ordered the third generation iPad and if I like it, I'll keep it. I hope it works well with a bluetooth keyboard as text production is also part of my daily work.

I'll have it delivered soon to my home. Currently I use a iPhone and while I do write some occasional mails, I mostly use it for browsing the web when I am waiting somewhere. Other than that I don't install third party apps as I worry about security. Maybe web browsing on the new iPad is really nice, I hope that. From the introduction videos the display does not look very impressive. But we'll see.

I didn't have the first iPad, and since I got an iPad 2, I actually have not turned on my laptop a single time. But going from my iPhone 4 to the iPad, the iPhone's "retina" display makes my iPad's look like poo (even though it's in fact a pretty good display). I'd say it's safe to say that the retina screen alone on the iPad 3 will make it hugely popular.
This is a bit surprising to hear from you. What kind of things you do on iPad to replace your laptop? Do you write code/manage servers/email/etc on iPad?
Or you use a desktop for all that?

Desktop... I never coded or played games or anything on my laptop... just for browsing, email and occasional SSH to servers. I can't "work" on a laptop. I need a mouse with 12 buttons and a 30" screen. :)

I considered buying an ipad until I learned that I can't connect my portable hard-drive to it due it not having any usb ports.

Lame.

I don't know what iCloud is. I just know I won't buy something that lacks a basic function that even the cheapest or expensive netbooks, laptops and videogaming systems have: the usb port.

Top Bottom