The importance of a smiley manager

I agree with mjp. thinking more about the issue i personally now feel the conveyor belt will take off and the plane will remain stationary.

:) Wouldn't that mean if they did have image smilies they might possibly be used more than they already are (non-image variant)?
Sites like StackOverflow have a lesser need for smilies because they're not meant for a wide variety of discussions (Outside of troubleshooting for programming). While smilies won't make or break a site like that they do allow people to add personality and emotion to their posts. Smilies open up possibilities in how you can portray your post without having to explain your meaning as the common smiley has been ingrained into people over extended use.
There seems to be a tiny bit of confusion about smilies and emoticons. Actually, it's perfectly possible to use emoticons to express your feelings even without using graphical smilies.

: - ) << this still works and is understood by most. Graphical smilies do have some drawbacks. What if someone uses a green-faced, three-eyed alien face without a nose to express a happy face? Would you still be able to instantly recognize its meaning?

Replacing arbitrary character sequences with images is not always what you want to have:
It's hard to know in advance what character-strings will be parsed into what kind of unintended image. A colleague was discussing his 401(k) plan with his boss, who happens to be female, via instant messaging. He discovered, to his horror, that the boss's instant-messaging client was rendering the "(k)" as a big pair of red smoochy lips.[13]
(from the Wikipedia article about emoticons) :)

I hope, this poor dude's female boss wasn't totally humorless :)
While some communities (and sites like StackOverflow) do not require them, the vast majority of forum communities would suffer from lack of them as people like to portray their personality when they post.
Of course they would. I think we can all agree that graphical smilies are a feature that has become standard and which you cannot exclude from any modern forum or community software.

This thread was initially about improving this feature and I do believe that those who advocate better management for emoticons and general improvements in that area do have a point. When I was using vB, I always had the feeling that configuring and customizing smiley packs was not as polished as it should be. I found it cumbersome to use.

This thread was initially about improving this feature and I do believe that those who advocate better management for emoticons and general improvements in that area do have a point. When I was using vB, I always had the feeling that configuring and customizing smiley packs was not as polished as it should be. I found it cumbersome to use.

Which is what the topic is all about not smilies themselves (are they useful, do they belong on ones site etc ).

That said, I think I've wasted too much time on the whole smiley manager thing speech. It happens great, doesn't nothing gained, nothing lost from here on in. :LOL:

eeegads don't give up, don't stop pushing Shelley. I'm not.

A smiley manager is, IMO, an essential part of a good, well-rounded, forum software.

We will never surrender! :p

Not until we get our wonderful Smilie Manager both front and back ends!

tantrum.gif

the smilie crusaders have my full support.
it would be great if xf would be a bit different in regards to smilie management/implementation.

that comment, combined with that smilie... it just seems wrong.

Would you prefer this......

We will never surrender!
bruce_h4h.gif

dunno.gif

I can't even begin to tell you what comes to mind when I look at that.

I believe I'll need more kawfee........................
leaving.gif

Don't look at it too long.

We need that thing as a smiley :)

I thought i made it clear really with the image. The thread I feel is now being watched. So ideas should be kept within or be stolen. Yeah yeah, keywords "fuel" "fire" but I know I can throw in a third "fact". We are being watched, our ideas picked off. This is no longer a smiley manager thread but a (tbh I'm not sure what this thread is anymore)... :censored:

Well we need to get it back to being a smiley manager thread!
I am not giving up til we get one.

My proposal now would be to get some ui minded people, some devs, designers and other people who really would like to see a smiley manager together to brainstorm, get some mockups drawn up in private. let's face it, doing it in public will not get you any further than just going around in circles at best. This topic will not differ from any other topic and it'll just end being forgotten. I dunno, I'm english, so my common sense might not be at 100% efficiency at this time. :laugh:

No need to get so heated about this. The smilie management system in XenForo is fairly basic right now, but in due course it will get its phase 2.

No need to get so heated about this. The smilie management system in XenForo is fairly basic right now, but in due course it will get its phase 2.
What sort of rough ETA are you talking about? It would be good to know if it's worth spending our time on this or if we'll just be replicating efforts.

The topic is about a smiley manager how to make it better, not specifically that xenforo has to do it right here right now but for the community to pull their heads out of their arses and brainstorm together. I'm guessing this topic suffers from what I call the vbulletin effect, too many people cooking the broth and ruining it.

Jeeeeeeeeez this topic seriously needs a packet of baby wipes attached to it. Holy crap I'm exhausted. :LOL: << laughing with frustration :sleep:

Top Bottom