• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

The Happy Place - Clickable Smilies Under Editor Control

would it be possible to add the tab button that says 'smilies', to the top of the expanded view of smilies - so that if you've got a zillion smilies you don't have to scroll down to close the smilie box again? (would make it quicker and easier to hit 'post reply' if you just click on the 'smilies tab to close the box again... :)
damn. deleted my post!
anyway, i reckon this is a great idea. it would allow one to close the smiliey tray without having to scroll to the bottom of the page.
much more elegant that relocating the reply buttons and breaking forum continuity.

This is how it looks on my imac 27'. After you're done with your message and inserting smilies you start to scroll down to publish your message and because most of the smilies are animated - it doesn't go so smooth. I can image what goes on when the screen is smaller and the resolution is smaller.

That's why I made this suggestion. Just a suggestion. Don't be rude :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-19 at 10.30.22.webp
    Screen shot 2010-12-19 at 10.30.22.webp
    105.3 KB · Views: 44
This is how it looks on my imac 27'. After you're done with your message and inserting smilies you start to scroll down to publish your message and because most of the smilies are animated - it doesn't go so smooth. I can image what goes on when the screen is smaller and the resolution is smaller.

That's why I made this suggestion. Just a suggestion. Don't be rude :)
Your place is really happy.

It was initially tested on Beta 3 but I installed it on Beta 5 with no problems as there were no changes to the relevant files which this add-on utilises.

Yeah I have it installed on Beta 5 as well, and it's working fine.

Still no answer as to whether categories and sorting are still being considered and/or worked on.

Yeah I have it installed on Beta 5 as well, and it's working fine.

Still no answer as to whether categories and sorting are still being considered and/or worked on.

Have you tried Pc him? Bare in mind, what we have now derived from a request I made which the author kindly built in his own time. If it gets an update then great guns, I just don't see the point in pressuring him to give an answer if he's got higher priorities or busy.

I understand the need for sorting and categories but if people are using different sized emoticons it's going to throw the whole alignment out of whack. On our part, alot can be reduced by using the same sized emoticons.

I'm sure given time inph will get around to it when he's got free time.

I wasn't pressuring him at all, and yes, I do know where this came from. :)
I'm simply asking if he plans to continue to work on this. Remember I had closed the other thread once, and you asked that it be re-opened because the project was far from finished. So I naturally assumed that he was going to continue working on it. That's all. :)

if people are using different sized emoticons it's going to throw the whole alignment out of whack. On our part, alot can be reduced by using the same sized emoticons.
That is not necessarily going to happen. I use different sized smilies together with the ones you provide (and thanks for that, they are very cute and I wish you had more :) ) and they appear to be good together (although not best).

The availability of good smilies is at question, since every forum has its own theme. Therefore finding all the required smilies and in a more so same size can be a problem.

That is not necessarily going to happen. I use different sized smilies together with the ones you provide (and thanks for that, they are very cute and I wish you had more :) ) and they appear to be good together (although not best).

The availability of good smilies is at question, since every forum has its own theme. Therefore finding all the required smilies and in a more so same size can be a problem.

Basically what I said, The size of the smilies being a big factor why the layout can become huge and very fast. Bare in mind when you say there's a lack of variety of smilies it's actually people donating their time in providing those smilies and last time I checked there aren't many people around here who design smilies.

There's always the option to pay for custom work to push up that variety.

Basically what I said, The size of the smilies being a big factor why the layout can become huge and very fast. Bare in mind when you say there's a lack of variety of smilies it's actually people donating their time in providing those smilies and last time I checked there aren't many people around here who design smilies.

There's always the option to pay for custom work to push up that variety.
I fully agree, but then we may have a situation where there is a big database of smilies which is there for years and has been imported from other forum software. Re-creating all these smilies in Xenforo fashion is a very serious process/job. With all due respect, I doubt that somebody would be willing to take that job.

I fully agree, but then we may have a situation where there is a big database of smilies which is there for years and has been imported from other forum software. Re-creating all these smilies in Xenforo fashion is a very serious process/job. With all due respect, I doubt that somebody would be willing to take that job.

There's no database of smilies that is ever too big. Giving the motivation of the designer and with myself having a database of 20,000 + unreleased smilies you can start to see what I'm talking about. There are people who are willing to undertake such jobs (though I'm not one of them) but I'm sure they are out there.

Your correct to an extent, it all depends whether the designer is willing and your offering to pay for such a large job if indeed a large job is required.

There's no database of smilies that is ever too big. Giving the motivation of the designer and with myself having a database of 20,000 + unreleased smilies you can start to see what I'm talking about. There are people who are willing to undertake such jobs (though I'm not one of them) but I'm sure they are out there.

Your correct to an extent, it all depends whether the designer is willing and your offering to pay for such a large job if indeed a large job is required.
I wonder how much one designer could charge for this. Anyways, if you are willing to show your private unreleased smilies (preview) I am more than willing to see and overview the terms of the deal.

also installed it again on my, now live, xenforo and it works also fine for me (newest Beta)
btw vB went into /dev/null
biggrin.png

I guess the new edit overlay is going to have an impact on this add-on.

It will be interesting to see how it works in Beta 6.

I guess the new edit overlay is going to have an impact on this add-on.

It will be interesting to see how it works in Beta 6.
an edit overlay!!
that rocks. i dont think it will cause much of a problem unless one has hundreds of smilies available

Top Bottom