The future of XF ?

ExpertPixels.com

Hey guys,

I do realize there are "Law Suits" preventing Kier posting any information regarding further Development of XF, but as we are about to launch our "Premium Designs" project i am wondering whats going on with XF.. I just don't want to spend a lot of time producing Quality XF themes only to find out XF is going under... I Don't mean to sound rude i am a big fan of XF but just with all the unknowns currently i was just wondering what the general conception of XF's future is and where it is worth spending countless hours producing Top Notch / Awesome XF styles.

My time could be better spent designing for other platforms, the thing is i just have no clue what is going on with XF and where this project may be pulled completely due to vBulletins rubbish / bull-shiiit law suits.

Hope you understand my point of view, I just can't dedicate that much time and effort only to have XF pulled completely / Shutdown.

Regards, Darren

Hey guys,

I do realize there are "Law Suits" preventing Kier posting any information regarding further Development of XF, but as we are about to launch our "Premium Designs" project i am wondering whats going on with XF.. I just don't want to spend a lot of time producing Quality XF themes only to find out XF is going under... I Don't mean to sound rude i am a big fan of XF but just with all the unknowns currently i was just wondering what the general conception of XF's future is and where it is worth spending countless hours producing Top Notch / Awesome XF styles.

My time could be better spent designing for other platforms, the thing is i just have no clue what is going on with XF and where this project may be pulled completely due to vBulletins rubbish / bull-shiiit law suits.

Hope you understand my point of view, I just can't dedicate that much time and effort only to have XF pulled completely / Shutdown.

Regards, Darren

As Kier recently said

"We arn't fighting for nothing"

There are no guarantees to the future, but if they wanted to throw the towl in they could have done so a long time ago. The fact they are still fighting for their future should be the best indicator of all.

The next important dates are Jan 7th, when XF has requested summary judgement, and failing that, Feb 4th when we will learn the trial date.

"We arn't fighting for nothing"

I understand that, Don't get me wrong i am a massive fan of XF !!! just as a designer it's hard not knowing what's going on, I understand that Kier can not make and predictions regarding the future of XF.. Was just wondering if others had the same concern. I would love to see XF come out on top.

Thanks and I am sorry for such a rather silly question, Just trying to plan out my Project / Business and i am sure many other designers / coders are in the same boat.

Thanks for replying and sorry to have wasted your time.

Regards, Darren

but if they wanted to throw the towl in they could have done so a long time ago. The fact they are still fighting for their future should be the best indicator of all.

Indeed very true. If they want to give up, they would have done so earlier on. Even if XF is not having a bright future (touch wood), it's still a well respected piece of software. :love:

As Slavik says, the next important date is Jan 7, 2013.

My words...
The next line in the sand is Jan 7, 2013. Expect the worst, hope for the best.
If I was thinking whether to launch something new based around xf, I'd wait at least another week.
Then refocus and regroup.
Any further discussion or commentary is best in it's own lawsuit thread once reopened.

If I were looking at investing a whole new line of work into XF at the moment
AND I was feeling that uncertain about XF future - I wouldn't do it.

There are XF developers and designers who ARE coding away. They are the omes who have carefully checked the court case threads and the MANY statements made by the mods, legal folk, and veteran XF folk.
Then they made up their minds and got on with work they want to do for XF. They know the chance is very high indeed XF is coming through, and will create a valuable market for them to reward them.

There are XF developers who are NOT coding now. They are the ones who have either NOT checked carefully, OR have carefully checked the court case threads and the MANY statements made by the mods, legal folk, and veteran XF folk.
They then feel on balance that there is some uncertainty. That is not good enough for them, so for now they have stopped XF work.

Which you are is up to you.
This is business and the art of running a business is you're in charge and you decide.
It's impossible for anyone to tell you which of those decisions suits YOU. and your project

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sadly I know all the lyrics to this song.

I think Xenforo 1.2 beta should be called "Timbuk3" as a testimony to the bright future.

Ha. That video is hilarious.

IMO, win or lose.. xF will still be here and will remain the top forum software from years to come either via official company or a 3rd party community effort site in the very slim chance event that xF loses, to continue on with updates, mod releases and security patching.

Sure Xf will continue no matter what. Very nearly almost 100% with the devs we know and admire. Or the backup plan.

But my advice to someone who hasn't made up their mind yet to go with XF AND doesn't feel genuinely happy about doing so, is wait. Because XF is such a joy to work with = software, devs, community. It's not right to spoil it with the wrong attitude niggling away somewhere. Better just to wait until you can relax with it and work with it fully the way it's meant to be.

Meanwhile I'm beginning to think that the veteran XF crowd are really very lucky. We're working with it already and no awkward decision to make so we can just enjoy it.

It's going to be e bit hectic for a while when things start up again!

Grace & Grace LLP said:

Grace+Grace LLP, a Southern California law firm of intellectual property trial attorneys, has secured an important victory for its clients XenForo Limited and founders Ashley Busby, Kier Darby, and Michael Sullivan in their long-running dispute with Internet Brands, Inc. and its vBulletin software subsidiaries.

After more than two years of litigation before a Los Angeles federal court and the English High Court of Justice in London, England, the parties have reached a confidential settlement agreement dismissing all of vBulletin Solutions, Inc.’s and Jelsoft Enterprises Limited’s claims.

Lead trial attorney, Michael Grace, stated, “We are pleased that the last litigation cloud has been lifted, so that XenForo can focus all of its resources on enhancing the features and functions of XenForo software. The Internet Brands litigations failed because of XenForo’s loyal customers, who supported XenForo’s dedicated, independent software development efforts over the past three years.”

Mr. Grace continued, “Today is a victory for competition in the marketplace. We’re delighted to have helped a small company like XenForo successfully defend itself and remain independent. The talented developers created XenForo software from scratch and have earned the chance to sell their software in the marketplace without further threats or false allegations. We believe that XenForo has a very bright future.”

See the word bright again.

:)

Top Bottom