The future of sharing forum content

Salty

What we need are feeds for Sub-Forums, Threads, and Users with content filters (text, image, video). I feel that if users want to share their activity elsewhere, the forum software should have options and filters to stream that content.

Out of all the social networks I have connected the forum to, this one has huge potential to not only be a successful product, but help drive the direction for Forum-based communities.

This is made by the same division working on Microsoft's Facebook Docs.

Microsoft designed a product called "montage", you can design a magazine around any topic by adding content that pulls information from a variety of sources, including RSS feeds, Twitter, and YouTube. The content is then arranged on the page in a grid format — you get to choose the exact layout — for your own consumption and for sharing with others.

microsoft_montage.webp

microsoft_montage_2.webp

But you aren't talking about a concept, you're talking about a Microsoft product.

I make my living off Microsoft's web and development products, so you shouldn't assume that you know my opinion of the company based on a single sentence. I love Microsoft! Every month, when that big deposit shows up in my bank account.

But you aren't talking about a concept, you're talking about a Microsoft product.

I make my living off Microsoft's web and development products, so you shouldn't assume that you know my opinion of the company based on a single sentence. I love Microsoft! Every month, when that big deposit shows up in my bank account.

Microsoft Montage is nearly a tool for the greater idea to take shape and expand around the net. The bottom line is Montage has the potential to expand forum reach. There will most definitely be others following the same format. It is indirectly allowing our forums to become information hubs and our users to churn content all over the net.

So regardless of whatever ambiguous point you are trying to make, Vbulletin & Xenforo DO NOT have individual feeds for Sub-Forums, Threads, and Users with content filters (text, image, video). The collective force of forums can easily demolish Facebook / Twitter in terms of value with this.

Microsoft Montage is nearly a tool for the greater idea to take shape and expand around the net. The bottom line is Montage has the potential to expand forum reach. There will most definitely be others following the same format. It is indirectly allowing our forums to become information hubs and our users to churn content all over the net.

So regardless of whatever ambiguous point you are trying to make, Vbulletin & Xenforo DO NOT have individual feeds for Sub-Forums, Threads, and Users with content filters (text, image, video). The collective force of forums can easily demolish Facebook / Twitter in terms of value with this.

Salty ... you are correct in the value of this feature ... it took years to get YouTube emedding done on forums

... I still can't believe forums have no "Tube layout" feature ... where there is no vision the people perish :rolleyes:

... I still can't believe forums have no "Tube layout" feature ... where there is no vision the people perish :rolleyes:

My thoughts to the absolute T.

I'm going to be crapping my pants when Google TV or something similar takes off. Forums with HUGE amounts of video can't stream fluedly to the TV let alone have a feed directly devoted to video content. How are we legitametly going to compete effectively with all the content providers on the internet when we can't even take advantage of new ways to consume content? What about mobile devices?

How are we suppose to enable our users to produce high quality content if we can't connect them to the right channels? We provide content to the internet, and we are the social hub.

Dominate all future hurdles, that's what I'm about. Montage should open eyes, or at least I'm using it to lobby this effort.

Good "facebook documents" with wiki like ability could seriously reduce the ability of forums to compete.
Many forum members have commented that Facebook has reduced their user base.
Adding good Documents to facebook could be very good for Facebook ... and hard on forums.
I'm not sure I see "Good Documents" in Facebook anytime soon.
That being said, I don't see "Good Documents" in Xenforo yet either. Jaxel's wiki is the only game. vB sure missed the boat on Documents.

You should qualify that statement, because it is not true across the board. Facebook may leech users from a "general discussion" forum, but it will never draw users away from a specialized forum. Because Facebook cannot replace a specialized forum. Nothing can.

Good "facebook documents" with wiki like ability could seriously reduce the ability of forums to compete.
Adding good Documents to facebook could be very good for Facebook ... and hard on forums.
I'm not sure I see "Good Documents" in Facebook anytime soon.
That being said, I don't see "Good Documents" in Xenforo yet either. Jaxel's wiki is the only game. vB sure missed the boat on Documents.

I run several forums, none of which has been affected by Facebook in anyway. In fact, one of them has had an increase in users because of Facebook...

You should qualify that statement, because it is not true across the board. Facebook may leech users from a "general discussion" forum, but it will never draw users away from a specialized forum. Because Facebook cannot replace a specialized forum. Nothing can.

My niche forums have seen a drop in activity, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes my job easier :)

What we need are feeds for Sub-Forums,
Yea a forum RSS feed thing would be a method of streaming content. Xenforo does this already.
http://xenforo.com/community/ has lots of RSS symbols.
Yea a thread could be streamed. I dont think there are thread RSSes.
and Users with content filters (text, image, video).
huh ?

I feel that if users want to share their activity elsewhere,
The forum software should have options and filters to stream that content.
Interesting idea. You haven't really outlined specific usage scenarios. Stream what content to what other service ?
All of these other services (FaceBook, Twitter, Mashable, whatever) ... would it be a good idea for the Forum to try to "Stream" these services to a Portal on your forum ?

Microsoft Montage
This deserves it's own thread. An educational / research thread - can you start one ?

Digital Doctor said:
Salty said:
and Users with content filters (text, image, video).
huh ?
Salty said:
Threads,
Digital Doctor said:
Yea a thread could be streamed. I dont think there are thread RSSes.

Hopefully my response will be elaborate enough.

Salty posts a lot of picture content.
I want a feed of nothing but Salty's pictures
I go to Salty's profile
View all of salty's attachments, filter through salty's attachments, stream salty's attachments elsewhere.

Profile Content/Search-Filter/External Feed/ per ( Sub-Forum + Thread ) ALL IMAGES

Possibility of choosing individual "custom" streams for individual attachments you filter or like based on terms and share them.

View all of salty's attachments, filter through salty's attachments, stream salty's attachments elsewhere.
And the purpose of this is what? To set up a system whereby Salty's fans don't have to come to Salty's forum?

I thought the idea was to get people to Salty's forum?

If Salty's idea is to start a "content hub" that Salty can monetize (I assume all this pseudo web 2.0 jargon has to do with monetizing Salty's stream or some such BS), using a forum as the center of Salty's "hub" makes no sense. Not technically, not from a contributor's standpoint, not in any way at all.

Image streaming ...

I'm just not seeing how this would be popular for the larger group of Xenforo purchasers.
It might be because I don't know what content you deal with mostly.
Maybe for a PrOn site or something ?

I do think what you want could be accomplished with some custom code.

It's hard to declare new "Futures" without very concrete examples.

I thought the idea was to get people to Salty's forum?

The idea is to spur content creation and consumption.

using a forum as the center of Salty's "hub" makes no sense. Not technically, not from a contributor's standpoint, not in any way at all.

Users share images on your forum.

The stream could be the top 20 images, first 20 images, recent 20 images or all images yet small thumbnails. From a contributor's standpoint, if you can reach a greater audience, you are going to choose their platform. The system does need precise thought to be successful, I understand that, but the overall notion of sharing my content, makes me more likely to deliver my content there.

Monetization is separate from the whole conversation.

It might be because I don't know what content you deal with mostly.
Maybe for a PrOn site or something ?

137,000 image attachments. Would be nice for the potential to pull traffic from more places with these images than the referrals below. Increase my potential.

refer.webp

Top Bottom